trotline weights

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by jlcperformance, May 20, 2009.

1. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    what do u guys like to use for trot line weights? i have used all kinds of things but lost all my window weights so looking to use something different...was curious if concrete blocks work very good? how much weight do u think u need to hold the line good? will be fishing a lake so current is not an issue...any info would be appreciated.

2. cateater

cateater New Member

State:
    missouri
    i take a 20 oz styrofoam cup and fill it with quikrete and then stick a wire loop down in it so it is easy to attach to the line. you can make about 25-30 of these with an 80 pound bag.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Depends on how your going to fish it. WE did it for a living for years. Our weights were bricks every 15 hooks.
    Or a brick at each end and pour lead in a jar lid then drill a hole in the edge. That works great. Also a Big lid will make for heavy duty weight. You can get up to 10+ lbs in the bigger ones.
    Pete

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I take 2" PVC cut 6" and fill it with sakcreat and it weights about a lb and for the end I take a corn sack and fill it with sand and the sack roits and there is just a little pile of sand on the bottom

hope this helps

PS you need to put a wire in the PVC so you can attach it to youir line

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One thing I've found very useful on sandy bottoms is an old tire rim; heavy enough, but not too heavy, and doesn't slide across the sand. Otherwise, I've used rocks more than anything else.

6. NE_Arki

NE_Arki New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Old solid bricks with a hole drilled in them.

7. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I work in a fab shop so I use short peices of shaft or flat bar that weigh
    3-5 lbs and weld a nut to so I can tie to it and it works great.

8. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    3 to 5 pounds for me. Still using window weights here, but I've broken most of them in half for use in the lakes. Use the full weights in the river.

A brick friend of mine says there's no problem finding 3 to 5 pound bricks. I suppose that's what I'll switch to when I lose my window weights. Ought to be several years though.

Vector

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I used to use just about anything available that I came across but I recently got a 1lb downrigger cannon ball mold and am using those when trotlining in low to no current.

When trotlining in a lake where you don't have any current not much weight is necessary except for if your doing a dead end trotline and then a heavier weight is needed at the deadend but, if any weights are needed in between the ends the 1lb weights are more than necessary.

10. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i use a window weight in a lake and two or three in the rivers plus i just found a bunch of them so i have enough for a long time

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I ALWAYS USE OLD RED HOUSE BRICKS.ABOUT ONE EVER THREE HOOKS.YUOU CAN USALY FIND SOMEONE GIVING THEM AWAY.

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    3 hole red house brick works great as a sink weight and a swing weight to tire out a fish. I use a railroadflat the kind under the track as line anchors they flat and dig in sand or mud bottoms good on the Mo river and have spike holes for easy tie on. I use the big ones that are used around roads. Ask railroad workers for em they will let ya have a few. I got some that go 25 lbs. They dont make bad anchors for a boat in mod current and make a great second anchor in slow water or lakes.

13. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    I have always used railroad parts for trotline weights. They are usually easy to find if you walk down the tracks. I do use a concrete block for the weight at the end. This is fishing in rivers.

14. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    For low to no current I have seen and plan to make and use myself concrete weight of 2lbs or so. You can take most any appropriately sized container, fill with conrete and insert a wire in the top that has been twisted form a loop to attach the line to. Water bottles work well, just cut a portion of the top off to make it easier to get the concrete in.

If you need heavier weights, just use larger containers like a 2 litter bottle.

I'm also planning on making a trip to one of the local yards that buy scrap metal just to see what I can pick-up cheap.

15. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Window weights now, since I found a pile of them but I have used the flat railroad plates with the spike holes in the past. Also I have one of them with a couple pieces of pipe welded as cup holders on to hold drinks while baiting a line.

16. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    20 ounce styrofoam cup filled with quikrete. Every 10 hooks I place a railroad spike.

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I recently made weights with quikrete poured in a soda bottle. Cut the top off, pour the concrete, make loop wit 14 gauge galvanized wire and push it into the concrete, let dry, then hit it with a heat gun for a nice shrink wrap. I like 'em because they don't bang the boat all up. Can't remember who's idea it was, but thank you...I dig it.

18. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Window weights here all the way, by far the best for trotlining. Have used bricks when seting them on a lake.

19. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    In low current I'm all for walking the railroad and picking up flats and spikes. The are usually laying around every where and the price is right.

In high current i like tire rims easy to handle and tie on. On sandy bottoms I have a buddy who swears by Old bicycle frames just make sure to clean them up pretty good. When the sand washes up over them they are not coming up. A little over kill for my taste as I like to move my lines fairly often but hey work for him.

20. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    3 Hole red bricks, railroad iron plates, old clean brake drums, old clutch plates etc.