Trotline vs Bank/Limb lines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jmanion8, Jul 27, 2009.

Trotline vs. Limb/Bank Lines

1. Trotline

2. Limb/Bank Line

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So what do you think is the best choice for non-rod and reel fishing? I've been setting bank lines for a while with not a whole lot of luck, but just went out this morning with an old boy on the river and helped him run his trotlines. He caught a 48 pound blue and some smaller fish...that's the third or fourth 40+ pounder of the year so far. I've seen much better results from trotlines, but don't have a boat to go set them. Just looknig to see your opinions...

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    MORE BEND WITH BANKPOLLS, LIMBLINES I SEEM TO GET STOLEN BAIT,GET SOME PVS DRILL A HOLLE IN EM AND PUT EM DEEP IN THE MUD ID USE CIRCALS ON ALL OF EM

3. MOCatdaddy

MOCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trotline if I did anything. Its always been an oldtime favorite.

4. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you don't have access to a boat you could try horseshoe or throw lines. Put some 4 to 6 hooks on a line, just like a trot line, keep them near to one end and let out as much line as you can handle - we'll see more about this. Now tie a heavy weight on the end, bait her up and pitch it as far as you can throw it out. First time I ever saw one of these used the guy runnning it was using 2 horseshoes [hench the name!] for the anchor and he could pitch them a long way from the shore. Now snag her off to something - I like to use a limb with a bit of give but you could use a stake in the bank and some bungee cord - should work okay.
    Oh, as always check and make sure this is all legal to use - some states have rigid requirement re hook spacing, number of hooks, where you can set, etc.
    Hope some of this helps a bit, and look forward to some pictures of a bunch of big'uns!

5. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i like to put a few trot lines out when i first go out. fish for a couple of hours and pick the trot lines up on the way in

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Both produce, each in it's own application. IME, when the river's up limblines are likely to out produce trotlines because more big fish get active and move to what was the shallows and the more hooks you have along the waters edge, the better.

Trotlines are the more consistent producer over all, and, less subject to thievery if pains are taken to conceal them.

Here on the KY River my routine has been to limbline early and trotline later due to early Spring flooding will break your trotlines. I had two broken from flooding this year, but amazingly I was able to recover everything later.

Where I'm at it'd be impossible to do either without a boat.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009