Trotline safety tip

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by longliner, Aug 27, 2009.

1. longliner

longliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    This tip is probably old news , but maybe it will help someone. It is very important that when baiting a line ALWAYS hold the mainline in your hand and hold the hook with your fingers of the same hand. In other words don't just grab the hook by its self.( I've seen a lot of folks do it) Too much can go wrong in a hurry. If something goes south its easy to drop the hook safely and you have still got your mainline in your hand instead your hook (talk about foulin' up your day!) I have had some nice size cats float up light as a feather, could not feel them at all then all of a sudden out of nowhere they make a charge to the bottom. A wet hook in slick hands equals trouble. As long as you are holding that mainline and hook in the same hand you have control. Good luck and good fishing. Dewayne.

2. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Good point Dewayne! Thanks for the tip. When we fish our big lines with heavy weights, we use a heavy duty safty clip rigged on the side of the boat right in front of the baiter to take the pressure off the line. My brother usually does the baiten up because he's the master baiter.

3. longliner

longliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good idea, Bro. gonna have to give it a try. I like the crack about your brother, my brother is one of them too --- but he dont fish!!!! lol Good Luck and Good Fishing........Dewayne

4. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Great tip. Never thot of that. I'm currently preparing my first line ever

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Dewayne that a great tip thans for your participation, and welcome to the BOC!

6. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Very good point. I have a pole on my boat to loop the line around as I check it if I need two hands. Best points to stay safe:

1) Always check the line with someone else in the boat to help you.

2) Always wear a life jacket when running a line. Things can go south faster than you can think.

3) Put your hooks on leaders with snap swivels. Then just unclip the catch and throw it in the live well. You can clip another hook on the line and bait it and go on. Take the cats off the hooks at your own good time.

7. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Always keep a sharp knife in close reach. I was checking a setline last summer and had about a 8 lbs channel on, he decided to jump while I had ahold of the line and wrapped around my middle finger. It dislocated the b'jesus out of my finger, if I didn't have my knife on my hip it could've got hairy!

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

EEEKKS!
    If yo wouldnt have put this thread onthe forums, keeping a knife near hadnt crossed my mind, i mean of course ima take a knife with me on the boat, but keep it clsoe. no.