Trotline Markers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Fishlind, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Fishlind

Fishlind New Member

State:
    Lexington County, SC
    This is a section of the Rules and Regulations from SCDNR. I was going to start doing some trotlining and was wondering what ya'll are using as markers for your trotlines?

"Markers and Identification
    Trotlines, traps, eel pots and gill nets must be marked with a floating marker with a minimum capacity of one pint and a maximum capacity of one gallon or equivalent size and must be made of solid, buoyant material which does not sink if punctured or cracked. The floating markers must be constructed of plastic, PVC Spongex, plastic foam or cork. No hollow buoys or floats including plastic, metal or glass bottles or jugs may be used except manufactured buoys or floats specifically designed for use with nongame fishing devices; these may be hollow if constructed of heavy duty plastic material and approved by the SCDNR. The floating markers must be colored white when used the 1st through the 15th of the month and yellow when used the remainder of the month. The owner’s name and address must be marked clearly on each floating marker."

Thanks,
    Joey

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oklahoma allows us to use metal tags, similar to the WWII and Korea dog tags. BUT, I really like the idea they came up with about color coded floats. That prevents the er, sportsmen from just leaving the line in the waster all year. If they don't change the jug as required, they will more than likely receive a citation - - - and thats good if they are not complying with the regulations.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Check out these. They will work and I can make them what ever size you need.Comes with a eye bolt that I powder coat. And a clip to attach to what ever you need to hook it to.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/safetyfloat.htm
    pete

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Pete's will work, and a lot of the tackle shops around here, maybe even walmart, sell a small oblong float about 1 pint size just for this purpose. You can write your name and address on them with a magic marker or sharpie. :smile2:
    I see you've read the regs; so don't overlook the fact that some areas limit hook size.

5. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi,I hope that you do well with your trot line. A time in the past, I would put out floating jugs, (two) and follow them, I had name and info painted on them, I think they are governed in the same section as well in the new reg books.. I think there is a hook size requirement and no stainless hooks.
    Thanks and let everyone know how you do.
    Gordon

6. Fishlind

Fishlind New Member

State:
    Lexington County, SC
    Thank you for ya'lls replies.