Trotline hooks? What do you use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DM1975, Mar 24, 2007.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Ok, I have been useing just straight steel trotline hooks for years but lately I am constantly having hooks straightend or bait lost on my lines with no fish to show for it. I am thinking about switching to Kahle hooks. What is everyone lse useing for their lines? Thanks.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I use 6/0 eagle claw trotline hooks. I take a pair of heedle nose pliers, and bend the point out to the side a bit. Seems to make the hook up better. I have had 1 big fish bend a hook, and get off, but normally it's not a problem. Most of the fish I catch are less than 20# though with some up to 40#. Anything bigger, and you might consider bigger hook. Bait stealing is usually perpetrated by turtles, and trash fish. Don't know what to tell ya about that.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have 4 trot lines all the hooks are salt water circle hooks.these are the kind swedish fishermen use.they are realy heavy duty.i have had some broke off or the line wore into but never had a hook straitened out.

4. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thank you for the replies. I will try the circle hooks I think.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Eagle Claw 090SS hooks myself. They are a offset stainless forged hook and they will get the job done! I use 9/0 most of the time and they are pretty easy to buy on the internet. They run around $50.00 pr 100 pk. I also use them in 10/0 but they are pretty hard to get and cost much more. If you want a good hook that is easy on the wallet the Eagle claw lazer sharp 254L in 8/0 will do a good job, if you dont leave your lines in the water for a long time. They are not stainless and will rust but are really strong and are around $7.00 pr 50 pk at walmart. I use them as a top hook in the really bad snag holes where the old flat's live! I've caught some good ones on them. When the hook gets dull I just cut it off and tie on a new one. That's how I do it anyway. Hope this helps. But even with the 9/0 and 10/0 hooks I use it is not uncommon to get 5 to 10 hooks pulled straight every year. I had one pulled straight weekend before last. The slime was as thick as your little finger on the staigen so I know I'll be back at that hole next weekend. Good luck

6. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I use eagle claw 6/0 if I'm using catalpa worms or crawdads.I normally use live bait with 9/0 and 10/0 hooks.I do have some 11/0 I'm gonna try this year because I had a couple of staightend hooks last year.I do not like circle hooks.I tried them on my lines and the couple of fish that I did catch I had to cut the drop off of my line because I could't get the hook out of the fish.They say it will hook the fish in the corner of the mouth,but it never did on mine.I had one that came out right through the top of his head so I don't use them anymore.

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I have some 16/0 Rapala circle, I know that's big but I haven't had any staightend out on me. Thank God I had a big hook, I caught a 60# op yesterday. I'll post some picks of it as soon as I can. If you look on the Louisiana River Talk thread, you can read the story.

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    catdaddie007,
    There is a way to get them out easily but I have never done it. Watched a guy take some off juglines and he was telling us how to do it but the darn wind was blowing so hard that I couldn't hear all he was telling us. I bet somebody here can tell us or it might be on a former post. It seems like I can remember one somewhere. Went to circle hooks this year so would like to know myself.
    Bill

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    If you find anything let me know.I've got some 14/0 and 16/0 and they're a booger to mess with.I thought about using them on limb lines.That would'nt erk me as bad as having to cut a drop off of my trotline.

10. Krypler

Krypler New Member

State:
    Texas
    i ahve heard of 6/0 working fine. if you get one that straiten then go bigger.

11. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have went to mustad circle hooks like the demon circle and eagle claw forged offset seaguards. I got tired of having hooks straightened out to.

12. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm no expert but I use circle hooks exclusively. The way I take circles out is to grab it with the pliers and back it out with a rotating motion, the same way it went in.

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gotta go with circle hooks. I have never had one bend straight on me although I am using 8/0 to 15/0 hooks.

14. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used 12/0 mustad for a few years and my only problem was removing the hook. I now file the barb off, and I can remove the hook and release the fish with less stress if I am not keeping it for eating. I have caught flatheads up to 72 lbs. on these hooks with no hook failures. 99% of the fish I caught were hooked in the lip or the corner of the mouth. These hooks also seem to hang up less in the underwater brush. I resharpen them after each use. Good fishing, Pat