Trotline hook sizes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What size of hooks does everyone use on their homade trotlines? I do not like to use the store bought trotlines because I have had alot of straightend hooks on my line.

2. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I use either Eagle circle hooks in 3/0 & Gama 3/0. I use tuse the hooks that come with store bought trout lines put switch to circles. I was getting bent hooks also. Since I went to circles catch ratio went up.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used from #8 j and kahle to 6/0 j hooks on my trot lines.My trot lines were made up to be able to change drop line size and hook size,type,etc. as you fish,should you desire.You can use the same trot line to catch your bait that you use to catch your cats.Many owners of stock watering and private ponds will let you set them,if they get too many small fish.These make excellent bait.I really don;t remember how small the smallest hooks were,but I have used a trot line to catch 2-4 inch bait fish while having a great time teaching my small children about a trot line.Lots of action,so they did not get bored.Small hooks are excellent for catching Eels,which I use for bait.peewee-williams

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    been a while since my trotlinin days, but when i did i used j hooks from
    7/0-10/0 with 4-6 inch live sunfish. made a mistake once and used cadmium hooks and they got straightened out. mainline i used 600lb. braid, and stagings were 300.

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use Eagle claw 6/0 sea circles and have caught fish from 1 lb. on up to 20 lbs. with them, including some gars and eels, and even a 40 lb. snapper! Once these hooks have been on awhile, they need resharpening though. Hope this helps!

6. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use #1 to 2/0 with catalpa worms for channel cats,
    2/0 to 5/0 with cut shad
    5/0 with live bream

Even the #1 can catch 10lb fish as long as the line has play and you don't rush the fish into the boat.

Like somebody already said depends on the bait and size fish your after.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    6/0 - 8/0 j hooks with perch, 3/0 - 4/0 kahles or circles with nightcrawlers or livers

8. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I run 5/0 or 6/0 depending on where I am fishing and what I am fishing with/for. I use mainly bluegills with 6/0 hooks. I did set a drop line the other day with 5/0 hooks with a few bluegills that had died in the bait bucket and had a hook bent straight.

9. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    2/0 to 8/0 depending on the set.

10. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gamagatsu 5/0 to 9/0 depending on the set. Circle Hook (Deadly)

11. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    7/0 circle hooks on trotlines and limblines. If I have to tie to a smaller limb due to location I use a 5/0 circle hook.