Trotline help!

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by R. D. Hilton, May 14, 2009.

1. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    Is there any way to use hot glue to make trotline beads for the swivels?

2. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    I have read alot of guys here that do that. I just never figured out how they put a blob that big on there.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, that's not a good idea. Nylon and hot glue both melt. Seems to me that putting hot glue on nylon would weaken the nylon line. The way I make my trotlines is to simply tie a knot on each side of the swivel. Preferably, I use a swivel that is just barely large enough for the mainline to go through, but when I have to use larger swivels, I use a pair of pliers to squeeze the opening shut as small as I want it.

4. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    can nylon be replaced with mono line instead of 150 lbs? the leaders would be 60lbs. from what i read, trotlines seem to be made of nylon only.

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Trot line brads are only $4.20 a hundred.
    I know the feeling about saving money by doing something yourself but that ain't a lot of money and it works pretty good.

That being said just glue craft beads on the line with a good glue for plastic.

have a good 1
    just

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not a good idea at all. A trotline must be extra tough not just because of the fish you are trying to catch, but because of how they are deployed and fished. There is alot of tension on the line sometimes, and sometimes they will get caught on a rock or limbs. Gotta have good strong line so it won't get broke when trying to retrieve it...and so you won't lose fish...and so it will last a long time. I would avoid mono at all cost.

7. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i would strongly suggest using nylon and not mono mono line is too fragile and will break much easier than the nylon and as far as the beads go i never use them i usually just buy the magic bait clips and they work great

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I would tie overhand loops in the main and either incorporate the swivels in the loop while tieing the knot or clip the swivels on with trotline clips before I would go the hot glue route. jmho

9. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501

10. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    I also agree with KY. I just tie overhand knots in my line, and it works great. If you want to use a swivel, it can be part of the drop that you tie in.

No reason to weaken your main line.

And I'll also vote for no mono. I like using heavy braided line for my main line, and dacron for my droppers. The dacron threads through smaller hook eyes with a heavy pound-test to work with.

Vector