Trotline for catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dakid, Jun 12, 2006.

1. dakid

dakid New Member

State:
    Palos Hills Illinois
    is it possible to use trotline for catfishing? and what is trotline

2. Can you use a trotline for anything else? LOL

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Sure you can David! I use mine for trashing up the river and pissin of R/R fisherman :big_smile_2:

Disclaimer: This is a sarcastic post not to be taken seriously

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, trotlines are commonly used for several species other than catfish, although they may be called something else. For instance, 'longlines', which are used for such species as swordfish, are nothing in the world but trotlilnes, which may be over a mile long. Take a look at the movie, "Perfect Storm" and look carefully when they're putting out their longline...ain't nuthin' but a big trotline. As a matter of fact, I believe that circle hooks were originally developed to use on longlines. Another use for a trotline is crabbing. Yeah, I know the traditional way of sport crabbing is a string with a chicken neck on the end of it, but if you're after a mess of crabs, a trotline will produce much better. Some states have strict regs covering the use of trotlines for crabbing, so be sure to read the regs before using this method, or any new method, for that matter.

5. Your right! There a great fire starter on this board!:eek:oooh:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I cain't find the"Bull Noses" that we used for bait when crabbing this way.I also cain't find the women who sold these crabs cooked and ready to eat out of washtubs carried on their heads.peewee-williams

7. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I got a buddy in Western, Ky who makes his livin" off trotlines and hoop nets but mostly trotlines. You should see the piles of cats he catches.