Trotline drop spacing - what is best?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by ra8643, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Hi. I was wondering if folks could let me know what spacing they use for the drops on the mainline. I have been using 3' (minimum allowed for Texas). It seems that this gets to be a little dangerous being so close to the next hook.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about going to 4-5' instead.

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest mine are set between 2-3 feet...but i would do what ever you feel comfortable with. if your using some live bait you are going to have to have larger spacing.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    do what ever you feel comfortable with.

4. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the replies. I was just curious as to what other folks use for spacing.

Thanks.

5. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    If you run the line from a boat they should be spaced far enough apart to where only one hook is in the boat and the next hook is still in the water. This way you are dealing with one hook at a time and the next fish doesn't flop off the hook. I space mine about 5-6 feet apart.

6. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Mine are about 4 ft, and they seem to work pretty good for me, but I don't think I would go any closer.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I make my own I space them 4' and will usually bait with bluegills for flatheads on every other hook and bait the other hooks with boilies, catalpa worms, night crawlers, grasshoppers, etc. in between for channels, buffs, or whatever.

This year my neighbor gave me a store bought 'floating' trotline with the drops 3' apart. Can't say that I caught any more fish but I did use more bait! I did like the 'floating' main though, it was easier to put out, never snagged even once, and high water broke it and I was able to recover the entire line, main, drops, hooks, weights and all.

8. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    All, thanks for the replies!