Trotline clips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by center12, Oct 2, 2006.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Anyone here ever lost a big fish using trotline clips?? I really like them on my "eater" trotlines but thought about hanging a few perch for grins and giggles. With as much give as a trotline has I'd be surprised that there were many losses, but thought I'd ask for actual experiences

Those clips sure make it easy to change out hook sizes and swap drops with a "hard" hooked fish.

2. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Never used em but almost bought some,thinkin real hard about it this year.I make my own and it takes a lot of time.Just worried if they'll stay put on the main line an loosin em altogether

3. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I caught a 33 lb. flathead on a trotline with the clips on it. It held up and didn't bend at all.

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i used them a couple times and lost a couple hooks so i will not use them but if used for smaller fish they would probally work pretty good

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sammy, I tie an overhand knot on each side of the clip so it can't side, it is a bit of time but better than tieing in barrel swivels. I have a barrel swivel attacted to the clip, then my drop and then the hook. I've yet to have any problems,but my largest fish has only been around ten pounds. Good to know 33 wasn't a problem.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Charlie, I use them on all my trot lines, this 60# blue was taken on one with an 8/0 circle hook using blue gill. I put out 4 to 5 trot lines with 5 to 7 hooks each when scouting out a new area. Have holes drilled in a plastic lid on a 5 gal. bucket to hold the hooks with the clips about 12" to 15" below. My main line has barrel swivels attached and the clip attaches to the barrel swivel. Haven't had one tore up yet and have caught many good size fish. I strickly use live bait. It's more work but well worth it. Hope this helps.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks Michael, that's what I was wanting to hear:big_smile: .

Since we're only allowed 1 trotline with up to 25 hooks here in KS, I figured I'd just set up a bunch of clips with either big(livebait) or small (cutbait) hooks. That way I could just mix and match as needed. Going to give Dinkbusters bucket setup a try. Thanks again.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been meaning to get some clips and do that too. I also put swivels right on the main line. I use drops that are doubled up, and use a lark's head knot to secure them, and make them easy to remove. Can't remove the hook when it's still in the fish's mouth though, and that's why I want to switch to clips.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I fix my troplines and juglines like center12 does and have never had any problems and I can change baits and take fish off easier.
    Bill

10. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Micheal Jake how bout a pic of yer bucket,like to see that:cool2:

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Getting to hook out............that's why I took all the Kahles off my drops, those things can be near impossible to get out(especially if your hanging over the side of the boat). I also use clips on either end of my trot for easy hooking to trees and have clips on my mid-line weights. A little pricey for 25 (6.95) but worth it I think.

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Allen, I’m gonna have to do my best at describing how the bucket is made rather than a pic for now... Just take a regular plastic lid that fits any 5 gal. bucket and cut a hole in the middle. The hole on mine is 7 3/4 inches across the diameter. The only reason for this size hole was to fit it for the 50 holes drilled. The small holes were drilled 1/2 inch out from the edge of the 7 3/4 cut hole and the drill size was just for clearance of hook shank and barb. Keep it small where hook just goes thru. To get 50 mine were drilled a distance of 9/16 of an inch apart. The reason for 50 is in Missouri on the Mississippi River we’re allowed up to 50 hooks total per person, 33 through out the rest of the state. I marked and numbered the 1, 33 and the 50 just for reference. With the clips hanging down 12 to 15 inches at the bottom they don’t get tangled, if the bucket gets knocked over all the hooks stay in place, I’ve only had some lines twirl around each other but come undone easily. Hope this helps

13. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    hey guys,i put clips on all my lines and have not lost one yet. dont know just how strong they are but i know i had a alligator stealing fish off a line and he could'nt tear them clips off.

robbie

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use the barrel swivels tied to the mainline on my jugs & trotlines, then I slide another barrel swivel over the clips, which are my drop lines.

As you said, if the fish is hard hooked, I just switch out the drop line. Actually, now that I have enough drop lines I just throw the fish in the cooler & replace it with a prebaited drop line, keeps you from having to bend over the boat but for a few seconds:wink:

15. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have been using clips for a long time now. I use #36 black tarred line, the clips will not slide on that size line but they will on smaller size line. I have caught several large flatheads with no problems. I keep mine in a 5 gal bucket that i weighted and made alid for. I need to post pics of it. I believe you will find that using clips is better all around, setting out, taking off fish, and taking up the lines. I also use them on my weights.

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks everyone, nice to see I'm not the only one who's seen the benefit of the clips.

Gator tested............thats strong enough for me:wink:

17. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I've never lost any fish to those clips, but then again, I have never had any huge fish on my line. I hear about these big ol fish that straighten out stainless hooks and kinda wonder how those clips would fair.?
    They do work pretty slick though!!

18. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    hi when i used to run lines i used them all the time because there reel conveniant and have landed a 40 pound flat head on a staging with a clip .good luck

19. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I use clips on all my lines, the way I have solved the sliding problem is on the main line I tie a loop or dropper and put a swivel on, the my staging has the clip tied to it, the clips work out great being attached to the barrel swivels, and I can tell you a 10/0 hook will straighten out well before the clip will, I have personally straightened out several hooks when caught on suncken logs and trees and the clips have never failed, deffinetly worth the money, Oh, I use the ones from walmart.

20. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I don't use clips. Never have. They probalbly work okay just was taught by my Dad who was taught by commercial fishermen so, I just stick to what works well for me.