Trotline chum idea - would this work?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by ra8643, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was thinking about hanging 2 20oz coke bottle from my trotline - spaced equally from the ends. I was thinking about putting in dry dog food and rock salt and punching holes in the bottles.

I have read in some places that chum only attracts channels. Is that true? Would it not attract blues as well?

Any comments on my idea?

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Joseph. Yes chummin' dog food would attract channels mostly BUT blues will migrate in as well. Hope that helps.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chum will attract bait fish and the bait fish will attract the cats to feed. I don't thing just two twenty ounce bottles will make that much difference. You would probably need much more and it might need to be out for a longer period of time. Good luck and let us know how it works. Joseph Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

4. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the replies! I really think this forum is great. I will let everyone know how it goes. I am going in 1 week for a few days.

Joseph

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Joseph Welcome to the BOC Chum will attract bait fish and the bait fish will attract the cats just like Micky said . You can also try different chum in each tube . For example you could get a blender and blend up a thing of chicken livers to put in one , or a few cans of tuna in oil . Good luck with it .

6. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    If there is running current where you are fishing, put the chum closer to the side where the current will take the chum twards the rest of the line, and maybe put the second one in the middle to chum the second half of the line downcurrent.