Trot lining

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by smhmc6, Mar 8, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm planning on going on a trot lining trip here pretty soon. I was wondering what you guys use to weigh down your lines? I've used cinder blocks in the past but I've heard of people making weights. Anybody have any suggestions for a cheap/easy way to make them? Thanks for your help!

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I use bricks or railroad spikes To weigh mine down:big_smile:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I remember my Grandad making his out of dogfood or soup cans . He made a loop out of heavy wire and filled the cans with concrete , then just push the wire into them and wait for them to dry.

I use old castiron window weights myself.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    when I used to set lines I used old window weights. If your close to KC PM me I have some you can have for free.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys, thanks alot... you guys are all great and this site is a great place to learn more about catfishin. And Brad, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I'm not from the KC area I'm from the Wichita area. Actually I'm going to school in Rolla MO right now. We get a few days off next week so I was going to make the drive home to pick up the boat, then to topeka and start off the year right with a fishing/ camping trip and a few fishing buddies! These tips will really help out. Thanks again.

6. ezclip

ezclip New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    No shortage of rocks here for weights.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For mid-line weights, rocks work great, but for anchoring a trotline on the end, it's hard to beat an old wheel rim, if you can't find a tree or stump to tie to.

8. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    old dozer cleats, window weights, or any hunk of metal with a hole you can tie your line to.

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use half brick or old railroad spikes.

10. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like heavier weights. I use 2qt buckets filled with concrete. I get the buckets from the paint department at wal-mart. They run .97 cent each. As stated above, use a piece of wire coat hanger to tie to.

As you can see, the sky is the limit when it comes to trotline weights.

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Here is the way I make my trotline and jugline weights.

1" rebar cut to whatever length (7" long is approx. 2lbs)
    1 link of chain (whatever size I have)

Weld the link of chain to the top of the rebar. This gives you a smooth surface to attach your line to. Roundbar or rebar can be gotten from scrapyards, machine shops, or local metal yards. It's cheap and/or free, most of the time it's scraps they have laying around. If you don't have the tools to cut/weld, a friendly welder or machine shop will do it for you for next to nothing.

Hope this helps.

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    After you finish your cornflakes open up the plastic bag and drop a short length of chain in with the other end hanging over the outside Buy a bag of sackrete from your local farm store or Menards and 1/2 fill the cornflakes box with concrete.
    The weight will be flat so it won't roll like window weights.
    They are easy to store.
    They are cheap.
    You don't need a welder.
    If it isn't heavy enough just fill the box fuller.
    You can use any plastic bag.
    best of luck
    just

13. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    We use bricks on ours.

14. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    I remember when I was a kid we used RR crosstie plates to weigh it down ...

15. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys for all the help. Those are all good ideas. I made a few last night... got a couple of 2 1/2 quart paint mixing buckets from walmart, a couple of eye bolts, and some qwickcrete. Pretty cheap and they seem to be about perfect.

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    On lakes, use rocks, about 30 lbs, wrap with rope , tie the main line on the line about 3 ft above the rock. Use gallon jugs for a float and put a weight , about 5 lb in the middle if it is a long line. A 16 oz plastic bottle between the big and small weights. Keep the hooks off the bottlom.

Jim