Trot lines

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by CrawDaddy, Aug 12, 2006.

1. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Whats the best way to put out a trot line? I put one out in the canal behind my house just out curiosity. Never put one out before but I thought I'd give it a go. Test it in the canal and then move on to bigger and better things.

2. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    we always run our lines toward the middle unless theres a eddy and follow the current line.use a good heavy tail weight and some smaller weight in between. hope that will help some and good luck. them lines are fishing when your not.

robbie

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I hate trotlines run to the middle of a channel, especially if they go all the way across. Interferes with drift fishing. The trotliners I know mainly run them parallel to the channel as much as possilbe. Try noodle jugs. The work well and are much less hassle to handle.

4. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well here's how I set mine up. I tied off one end to the bank and put the weight on the other end. The weight is down-current from the other end. What I am finding is that the lines with the hooks are wrapping around the main line because the current is pushing the hooks parallel to the main line. I was thinking of adding a big weight and using it on the up-current side, that way the the current will push the hook to a perpindicular angle to the main line. Don't know if thats a good idea or not, but like I said, I am just experimenting now!!
    As for jugging, I have never done that either. I am assuming you want to have some weight in the jug, so as to enable the jug to provide some resistance if a fish does hit the bait?? I think I am going to try a couple today just for kicks!!

5. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Caught this on the trot line behind the house. It was on like the 4th hook from the weight at the bottom. Almost every hook was bare. So I added more weight to see if that would provide more tension and catch more fish. I am really just wanting to know if there any catfish worthy of my time in the canal. If so, then the canal is only about 100 yards behind the house and that would be nice!!!
    Well crud it won't let me upload the image. Anyway it was a 4 lb carp!

6. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Let's try this!!!

[​IMG]

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You can look in the library for ideas on noodle jugs, one of the more popular ways to jug fish these days. Or, just take 2 liter soda bottles, paint them white, some people spray the insides, others the outside, tie on some line, a hook or two, and some weight. The weight can either be just enough to hold down the hook and line, or enough to anchor the jug. Some people use washers or big nails for weights on floating jugs, other use regular fishing weights. In Texas, just like trot lines, you have to put your name and address on the jug.

8. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just caught the reason for all those empty hooks!!
    [​IMG]

9. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    What is that a picture of? If your canal is low to very low traffic I would run that all the way across with some weights here and there down the line to keep it more or less close to the bottom. That way you caver all depths and any fish comming up or down river will have to cross your line at some point.

10. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    It is a lousy picture. It is a stinking turtle :) I haven't put my line out for awhile now. Left it one night on the canal bank and they decided to mow that day and tore it to shreds. Got me another one and I think I am going to put it out at the lake tonight!!

11. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Set up a new trotline this weekend. Changed the set up though. This time I put the weighted side up current. Before the current was pushing my hooks at the same angle as the main line and they were wrapping around it. This way seems to work much better. I can also really tighten the main line once I have the weight in the water now, so that is also another plus. I also found a pipe that starts about midway up the bank of the canal so I don't have to worry about that damn mower getting my trotline again!! It will be even nicer when the wate level is up about another foot because then the line won't be visible so I don't have to worry about it disappearing!!

12. Mr Mudcat

Mr Mudcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    FYI, make sure you mark you trot line with your information just in case the game warden rolls thru...it's possible they'll cut that sucker off :wink:

13. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Appreciate the advice. Thankfully my line is submerged so it isn't visible. Always see alot of people with casting nets out there so I had to be clever :)

14. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    you don't say where you are at. if you put where you are it helps to see if we are close enough to help you out. you need to go with someone that knows how to trot line and you will catch a lot of fish. from what you are doing you could use a lot of help but we have no idea where you are.