Trot lines?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by docwaldo, May 17, 2006.

1. docwaldo

docwaldo New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i just joined the board yesterday. and already i have a question about trot lines. i have run a million lines in my life, but i have never run a trot line that i only tied off on one end. has anyone ever run these. i have seen guys that have been running them while i was fishing, but i have never run one myself. what is the trick?? when you tied it off, like to a tree or something, what do you put on the other end?? how do youi keep it tight???

any info that anyone can give me on this topic i would greatly appreciate. i am thinking about going in a week and a half and wanted to make sure i got my ducks in a row before i went.

i was the guy in that yellow bumble bee boat at the lock on sunday. thanks for the site information. i have enjoyed reading the posts.

drop it deep and yank it hard. . .

doc :)

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    ususally they don't just tie off one end... the other end is on a weight or anchor on the bottom... Cinderblocks work well supposedly... i use mostly throw lines when i do it so i us the little red bricks or i fill a gatorade bottle with old metal scrap parts... screws, old skate bearings, etc... anything throwable and fairly heavy that i don't care if it gets hung up... Usually they also have some sort of bouy system set up so that its able to be at the right depths but sometimes not... just all depends...

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've run them with weight on one end and a jug float on the other so baits run from the bottom up to the surface. I wouldn't suggest leaving that rig out over night tho because a big cat may drag it into a snag.

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Doc what you have discribed is what I run. I tie off on one end and weight the other end with a 10-16 lbs anchor. I call it a throw line. I have caught piles of fish on these.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There aren't always two stumps or other objects positioned so that you can tie both ends of your trotline, so sometimes you have to provide your own 'anchor'. As a matter of fact, I've put out a few lines where there wasn't anything to tie to, so I had to use an anchor on both ends. One of the best things I've found to use as an anchor in sand or mud is a discarded tire rim. They tend to dig in on sand or mud rather than sliding along like a concrete block. In a rocky area, the concrete block might hold better.
    If you've got plenty of open water, instead of attaching your anchor right there and having to lift it every time you run your line, run out another 100'-150' of line with no hooks on it, then attach the anchor. That will allow you to lift the trotline to the surface to run it without lifting or even disturbing the anchor. Just as the extra line lets you pull the trotline to the surface, it will also allow a big fish to pull the trotline side to side, so don't use this technique unless you're sure that such movement won't reach any snags or whatever, to foul the trotline.

6. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I fish in a river and always tie to the bank, stump or limb usaully just under the water, add piece of brick 6 ft out to get the line going down quick. Then the hooks 20-40 and a tail line (like Jerry) deep enough to reach the bottom. Tie on a car rim or brake rotor stretch it all tight, go a little upstream and let her go. That way you won't have to reset the anchor every time, you can just run the hooks and drop it back in.
    I have been using the throwlines for short lines 5-8 hooks with an 8lb weight on the end. These are weighted so they lay right on the bottom and work well also. Usually fishing a shelf or drop off type setup with the short lines.
    I don't think tight matters because if the current gets slow there is alot of slack in the bigger line but will still catch fish. As long as there is some current.