Trot lines

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Steelheadmaster, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Steelheadmaster

Steelheadmaster New Member

State:
    Christiansburg, Va
    Hello I have been looking throughout the VDGIF to find out if you can run trot lines for cats, I cannot find anything on that subject. I am thinking about building a few and giving them a shot. If it is legal I was thinking of using live bluegill on them for flatties, but I did find that your not supposed to use game fish for bait... I hear of everyone else using them..

Any help appreciated

Bobby

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    Oh man thats such a sore subject around here. There was a article in the paper this week about how people are illegally keeping and killing fish. The fishing in the Richmond area has fallen off 10 fold since I stared fishing for them in 2002. I hate trott lines... Thats my 2 cents.

3. Steelheadmaster

State:
    Christiansburg, Va

Thats nice that you hate trot lines, though my question wasn't " Your feelings about trot lines"

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Dont let them scare you off of using trotlines if it is legal then go for it if thats what you want to do . I dont use anything but a rod and reel , but I dont knock any other method of catching fish . I would check it daily maybe twice a day if I was going to do it .

5. Steelheadmaster

State:
    Christiansburg, Va
    Checking these lines 4 times a day is what I planned on doing. I'm new to catfishing, I'm from NYS not a whole lot of catfishing to be had up there with the exception of a few channels. I use barbless circle hooks when fishing bait anyway, although I rarely use it.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Have a look in our Alternative Methods forum, it lists a lot on trotlines.

7. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia

8. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    If you follow your state regulations do what ever floats your boat there are plenty of people on here with good info the most important thing i think is be considerate to other fisherman thats my 2 cent:wink:

9. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I'm not going to go through a list of opinions on setlines and the setliner. Been there done that, but i will answer your question.

And to be simple here's a copy and paste out of the regulation book..

"Trot Lines, juglines or set poles may be used to take nongame fish and turtles provided they are not baited with live bait (worms are permissible), except on waters stocked with trout and within 600 feet of any dam. Live bait other than game fish may be used on trot lines to take catfish in Carroll, Dickenson, Giles, Grayson, Montgomery, Pulaski and Wythe counties, and in the Clinch River, in Russell, Scott and Wise counties. Any person setting or possessing the above equipment shall have it clearly marked by permanent means with his or her name, address, and telephone number, and is required to check all lines and remove all fish and animals caught each day."

Heres the website to help out anyother questions you may have;
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/

Check the Area you visit to see which county you will be in to set your lines. As it States Non-game fish may be use live in those counties. In the state of Virginia Bluegills and sunfish are considered Gamefish. Yes you may hear of other folks using them, but that is illegal, and its those Folks that give setliner's a bad name. Bait fish you may use, shiners, goldfish, chubs, suckers, shad etc. Crawdads are legal aswell as frogs, but have to be dead... Shrimp is a killer bait on lines..

I'm a retired bushliner. I grew up with my Papaw setting lines, so i know the game. I also wanted to say, thank you for asking the regulations. And thank you for wanting to set the lines in a legal manor.....