Trot lines & Jug Fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by messemore, Jun 6, 2009.

1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does any one put out any trot line or use jugs on the James?

Is so, what are you using for bait? I have seen in the fishing regulation that you can not use live bait. So I am guessing bream are out.

Does the same hold true for jug fishing. The regulations are not real clear to me. I asked a Conservation Office (Game Warden) about this and he did not know and referred me back to the regulations.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    BILLY welcome to the BOC it's a great site .
    i,m thinking va is like n.c no live bait on limb line 'trot line or jugs ,don,t sound rite officer not knowing the rules.
    heads up to u ;ask a mod to move your thread to the alternate fishing section . If it stays here y will see why i made the suggestion

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We are lucky enough in Va to have the two best trophy blue cat rivers in the nation, the james and the potomac. It is pretty much catch and release for all large fish. By law only one fish per day for fish larger than 32 inches. Please,,,,by all means take as many eaters as you want but please leave the big fish alone. If you catch one, take its picture and turn it loose.

4. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    most of the line jerkers i know would like to see jugging outlawed. myself included. that said i would go by the regs and not use live bait. like kenneth said let the chemicaly ridden fatty tissued nasty tasting biguns go so we can all continue to enjoy fishing as we each percieve that it should be done. thin out the eaters all you want there are plenty of them in the james . welcome to the BOC

5. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Yeah thats not a very good subject for us line jerkers,this usually carries a lot of conflict.
    PLEASE PRACTICE C-P-R (catch, photo, release)
    Any how welcome to the BOC Billy.

6. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    use cut shad or bream soaked in garlic oil......good fishin.........mack

7. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    You can NOT use any type of livebait on any type of set line. Thats goes for trotlines, bushlines, juglines, throw lines. etc. Thats including live Fish, crawdads, frogs, etc etc. So basically cutbait or small dead baits.

And mostly Setlines on the Lower James is HIGHLY frowned upon. Expecially Jugs. But that goes for Most bodies of water now. ITs a Big Catch and Release fishery, Expecially for Larger Fish. But that also goes for most Bodies of water now.

Any type of setlines also has to be tagged or marked with Complete name and address. Any line or Jug i find without, is considered trash and into my trash bucket it goes. Although its frowned upon, its not illegal. Just use some common sense when you do it. Dont leave Jugs unattened, and dont set them in the middle of the channel on midday Sat. Also practice and 'lil selective harvest. Keep the small fish, release the larger fish. Remember only one Blue Cat ALLOWED over 32inchs...

8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Well said catsnstripers, juggers in Kerr are the most irresponsible people I have ever seen.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been wanting to head over to the James and do some jugging. I heard it was a great place to set out a couple hundred jugs along with some trot-lines. While your waiting on them to catch fish....you can set out about 7 or 8 rods with live baits. Tear- up some big ole Bluecats.....LOL:smile2:

10. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    dont start downing all juggers.all i use are circle hooks and i never have a gut hooked or a dead fish.i dont eat fish so i release every fish i catch.just be responsible and dont lose your jugs.be sure to number and put your name on every one of them.i number every one of mine and i make damn sure i have everyone i came there with when i leave.i guess if every rod and reeler felt that way about people juggin and trotlining,i guess im gonna have to change my feelings about rod jerkers.

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
  12. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    bamajugger i think that most of us have been very respectful of the right to jug even though most of us are apposed to the practice. it sounds like that you are very attentive of your jugs and i appreciate that. if more juggers had your attitude and were more responsible with their jugs and practiced selective harvesting then all of us would welcome juggers anywhere. believe me there are plenty of eaters in the james that would help the fishery if some were harvested.

13. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    thanks and i wish there were more people that cared as much as i do about the sport.there is nothing i hate more than seeing trash on the river banks and the senseless harvesting of everything people catch.when people start talking about wanting to outlaw juggin and trotlining,well i think it is just unfair.im not even from virginia,i was just glancing through and seen where it said juggin,so i stopped in.it just hits a nerve when some of us are put in a class with the sorry ass people that give the sport a bad name

14. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I'm with you on this Bamajugger, the one's of us that take pains to do it right should not be lumped in with the one's who just don't seem to care.

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Being a kayak fisherman, I have been considering leaving the cattin' rods on the bank and carrying some small jugs like the kits made by Wild Wolf Products, a long-time Catfish1.com sponsor (http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/).

In this way I can deploy the jugs over structure that I am actively fishing, staying in the area of the jugs (within 50 yards or so) and never leaving them. I could then retrieve them quickly when I want to move on, or when another fisherman would like to fish the area too.

16. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    Back home we use trotlines all the time in the rivers

17. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Eric! :0a25:

I gotta appreciate a guy that knows his Latin! :wink:

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I think Wheeler on the Tennessee River would have something to say about that. :wink:

19. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I love to set trot lines but i'm realy getting tired of seeing a thousand jugs floating across the lake.

20. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Fortunately, Virginia has some strict laws on how jugs are labeled. Now, the downside is that the scofflaws aren't going to label their jugs anyway. On the other hand, they often get caught, since they rarely break the law just once. :wink: