Trot lines in the river.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rodpod, Oct 20, 2005.

1. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Last night I was going to fish my favorite wing dike and when i got there there was a 100 foot long trot line sitting there all the way across it. There was another dike that i could fish but still it kindve made me mad because nobody had been there to check it the whole time i was out there. I know there are big fish there and why would you trot line if you werent going to keep them? If you repeatedly went to the same spot and that trotline was always there, would it be right if you moved it out of the way until you were done fishing? Do you think it is right to take over a good fishing spot with a trot line so other people cannot fish it? What is the proper fishing etiquette for this situation?

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Here in MO, a trot / set line must be checked at least every 24 hours. If that line is always out there, it may have been abondoned, which is really unfortunate. If you go out again to find it there, call local fish and game authorities to remove the line. A trot line should also be tagged with the owners name and contact information.

As far as moving the trot line, if it ain't yours, DON'T TOUCH IT!!! Imagine if it were yours and you were checking it regularly and obeying the laws but someone came by and checked it, taking all YOUR fish. That is not right and unethical. You can still fish with the trot line in the water, however, there is also a lot of river that can still be fished
    EEK!

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have NO IDEA how that link got put into that post, just disregard it!!! I didn't put that there!! I'm not good with the computers, I'm lucky to even be here on this site!!!

4. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I agree with River Rat. If its not gone soon and it looks like no one has checked it, then call someone to remove it. It stinks that they have taken up the entire area, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    ya know, if it hasn't been checked, call the dnr.

If it has been, fish around it. It's 1 line, not a spiderweb of lines.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Your best bet is definitely to call a F&G official and let him check it. Back when I trotlined a lot, if I found a good place for one, I might have it in that spot for 2 or 3 months. Arkansas law requires that you check it once every 24 hours--you aren't required to stay with it.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    What makes you think they wasn't going to keep them. Only reason I ever set a trot line was to keep what I caught. 100 hooks should mean 4 lines. That is production. LOL. I would not mess with anyone's trot line unless I knew for sure it was abandon, illegal and became a hazard and I would call Game Warden. Its easy to tell if one is abandon or illegal. I have fished around many of them with no problems. even my own. LOL. I respect one's way of fishing as long as it's legal and I expect the same for my way.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sometimes it's easy to tell that a trotline has been abandoned, but not always. I've had lines in the water so long that the mainline and dropper lines would be covered with slime and zebra mussels, even though I ran them every day. The important thing to remember is that a game warden is legally entitled to pull up that line to check it; you aren't. And if the owner catches you lifting that line, you are assumed to be running it and stealing the fish. That can lead to trouble on the water, or get you turned in to the law. With an eyewitness against you, you are almost certainly going to be fined. "I was just checking the line" doesn't sound any different than a shoplifter saying, "I just picked it up to look at it and forgot to put it back."

9. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Rodpod, actually I don't think it is good manners to lay a line in a popular bank fishing area where it will interfer with fishermen. Unfortunantly, it isn't illegal. At least not in my state. I checked with a fish and game warden at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

I guess it was the way we were raised. For one thing, we thought about things before we did them. Many times, bad fishing manners are mostly a matter of ignorance. Some people just don't know any better. What seems obvious to us that were raised on the water, may never even enter the mind of those who were'nt.

Never take another mans legal trotline into your own hands, that's breaking the law and also bad manners. I might remove a line that was in my way, if it was obvious that it had long been deserted, but I would never touch an illegal line that someone is running. That would look like I was putting my hand in the cookie jar, if someone were to see me. In this state the line must be tagged with the date it was put out but that's for the game wardens to check, not us. It must be redated every 30 days. And it must be checked once every 24 hours.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Personally I don't use trout lines any more but have ran some in past years. Our state law requires them to be labeled with you name and address and to be checked every 24 hours. Now the reason I don't use them is there are just to many crappy days with rain and blowing winds and lightning and cold and ect. that I may not feel like getting on the lake to check them every day. There is no exception in the rule books for bad weather days that I can find.(so I just don't prefer to use them) However even though they are in your favorite spot as long as it's a public lake or river everyone has a right to fish how ever they prefer if it's by legal means. We have them strung by the hundreds around here and you just gotta learn to fish around them. Many are set by seasoned very efficent trout line people and many are not, either way don't bother them. If you suspect they are not legaly ran contact your conservation agent.

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I only put out trot lines when I'm going camping for a few days.

I run my lines every 3 to 4 hours, and when I'm through camping, I remove my lines.

My lines are legally marked, and I do my best to keep them out of other Fishermen's way.

I don't mess with anybody else's Trot line's period...

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Rodpod, You think that is bad!!! Stoney and I went down to the old dam today and found a gillnet stretched acrossed it in a position that you couldn't fish it. And that just bites the big one!!!

13. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I wouldnt touch another persons trotline as I wouldnt want them to touch mine if i used them. Maybe I was just a little heated when I made the post because the angle of the wind that day made it difficult to stay anchored on the other dikes. And the reason i was saying something about keeping cats, is that there are advisories on the Ohio to only eat one meal per month. Maybe it was a commercial fisherman, maybe it was a guy stocking up for the winter and decided to chance the PCB and mercury levels in the fish. Who knows. It just kinda felt like when you are in walmart and someone leaves their cart in frozen food isle in front of your favorite pizzas and you cant open the freezer door. You want your pizzas, you dont have to have them, but you dont want to bother the other persons stuff to get to them. But you also wonder if the other person has the common courtesy to not do that stuff intentionally. I just wondered what other people thought of this, including the guys who use them. Thanks for all of the feedback.

14. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    I'll certainly push your cart a couple feet out from in front of the pizzas. hahahahaha

I trotline perhaps more than any other method of fishing and certainly understand your problem and like others ive lines out with moss and algae growing on the main line. I use trotline clips and leave the mainlines out permanently but i must say that my perm. lines are in spots that either arent a problem to bank-fishers or off the bank of my own property.

If you by chance are at your site for a full day and dont see the line run then yes you should call your local game warden but do not molest the line unless you're a hundred percent sure its been abandoned. Personally speakin I get very testy when i suspect my lines/nets/yo-yo's/traps have been run by someone else and now carry a digital cam-corder in the boat for such occasions.

Some folks run their lines every few hours, some only once per day. Just because you dont see me running it doesnt mean im not paying attention to it. A lot of my stuff I run in the evenings after work. I will concur the post about no exceptions to the rule regarding bad weather exempting you from checking your stuff. I've run lines in 33 degree pouring rain and 102 degree blistering heat. I will also admit im human, and for whatever reason missed an evening but for sure the next morning I was out on the river checkin my fish.

I like to think myself a tad considerate and dont put nets or hooks out cross a prime fishing spot unless its dead of winter and ill also put tethered floats on them to be dad-gum sure everyone sees them and knows there is something there. tip.... do this to trotlines to make bass fishers think its a net... they stay well away from them. also you can let go of the mainline if you need to and instead of going back to either end of the trotline to pick it up you can grab one of the floats midway.

best of luck to you
    chad.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's absolutely right about checking your lines regardless of weather. I once swamped my boat checking my lines during a storm; then the boat rolled over. How'd I manage to swamp it? Got trotline hooks in one hand, then the other--had to rip them out.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jtrew, that "hook in the hands" thing sounds terrible. I'm glad you didn't drown. Vern

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, if I had gone out of the boat, that big rock I had tied to the line would have pulled me about 15' down into snaggy water. By the time I got the hooks ripped out of my hands, the boat had filled with water. A big wave picked the boat up and sat it down on a stump; the boat then flipped over.

18. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Rod, I throw line the Red River here in La, and most of the time the only way you would ever know I had a line in the water was to hook it, as I tie off below the water line. I take my gear up when I am not going to be running them for a couple of days. The main reason is due to the rise and fall of the river. If the river gets a good rise, there will be all kinds of log coming down it, and you run the chance of of lossing a line. I put a lot of time and effort into my gear, and have never abandon any of it in place. I have seen others set a Wal-Mart special trotline out for the weekend and never even run it the last time and leave. This is not right. I do commend you for not touching others stuff, and wish everyone felt that way.

19. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If there are advisories for that part of the river it very well could be a commercial fisherman. From what i have been finding out on the internet, they are obtaining out of state licenses and catching fish and selling them to pay lakes. The two things that made me think that is 1. theres an advisory on eating fish and 2. its on the Ohio river.

Either way it still could be just an average joe. He's fishing his method and theres plenty more river to fish than just that one hole. No need for an altercation over a fishing hole.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just because a person has a trotline out doesn't mean you have to run to some other part of the river. Try to keep from hanging up on the trotline, and if you do, don't damage it.