Trot lines in Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Apr 21, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im gonna try to stay away from the ethic end of this. im not posting to talk about whether trotlining is right or not. i know people that line and keep everything they catch, and i know people that do it for fun. I don't agree with certain laws in ohio.. they have been debated . i don't agree that i can go fishing, only allowed two poles, but someone else can go run numerous hooks and go home to watch tv while im fishing my butt off. I know i can run lines and do the same. but i think there should be better laws on lineing ,and most the people i know that don't support cpr for big fish, sad to say, are trotliners here in ohio. like i said, im sure there are line people that line and even release everything. if that is their sport, i have no problem. i have a problem with the ones that do it the way they do, some of the time following local laws ,that I think should be changed, and other times not following any at all. I see more lines not marked like they should be than they law obeyers. maybe im too critical, but some of these people do take a toll on our rivers, especially the smaller ones.. think about your river, then consider that,

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think trotlining is OK if all fish used or released and not just wasted.I don't agree with the pole limit in Ohio but thought we could use three poles.
    Jake

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have seen numerous lines and jugs while fishing without proper identification. I remove them all and thorw them away. If I like the hooks and weights, I will salvage those. I don't agree with all the Ohio laws, but I don't break them either. If I catch you, then you are losing some gear. Bottom Line. As far as the two pole limit goes, I agree with it. If you can't catch enough fish with two poles then you need to practice more. I strongly support CPR of anything over 10# and usually have no problem catching enough fish under that size. I can't force someone to CPR their fish, nor would I try to, but in our tournaments it is a requirement that all fish weighed in be released regardless of size. No ifs ands or buts. I have had no problem with this rule and I want to start getting video of our tournament releases. Still waiting on the camera. My digital doesn't have enough memory.

There will always be people violating our fishing laws. I recommend repoting them more than confronting the person. Confrontation can sometimes be hazardous. I will, however, personally confront anyone I see blatantly littering. Littering our shorelines and waterways is the biggest problem I think we have right now. Size limit, pole limits, catch limits....no problem. The state needs to seriously crack down on the people that trash our fishing areas.
    I think I need to stop rambling now, I have said enough.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks Jason, this is another of my pet peeves. I'm only allowed two poles, but any guy that wants to run a line can have 50 limblines each and every day. Trot liners can have 3 lines with 50 hooks per line. What tha? I know you say you know some liners that release their fish but I think they are few and far between. The only reason to have 150 baits in the water is to take all you can take. Wheres the fairness? The DNR guys say the 2 pole limit is to make sure everyone gets a chance to fish crowded urban lakes. So one guy or group cannot monopolize a whole bank with 30 rods and catch all the fish. Isn't that the same thing liners are doing? I have to sit in my boat all night with my 2 legal poles once or maybe 2 nites a week, while this guy sets his 50 or 150 and crawls into bed and may or may not check them in the next few days. Just shows up whenever and collects his fish and carts them off to a pay pond or uses them to rig a tourney etc... These are SPORT FISH, they should get the same level of protection as bass or walleye. Just imagine the uproar if someone found a way that everyone could easily catch bass on trotlines. Every joe in the state would buy the secret "bait" and set out his lines and the bass guys would go NUTZ. There would be hearings and lawsuits till the law was changed. Well I for one think its about time to rid this state of legal POACHERS now. Cause thats what they are. There is no sport in setting lines and going home. You don't get to fight the fish you don't have to spend much time on the water to find the fish. You just run along the river tying off lines every few yards. Eventually you will catch fish just because of the sheer numbers of hooks. What a sport.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I see your point and it does not make much sense to me either. If I fished in your area i would contact 2-3 of the local game wardens (or whatever authority) in your area and ask them if they ticket people in boats for using 3 or 4 poles. These guys enforce the laws, but in some cases they will overlook a law that may be questionable. Just a idea to maybe get you a extra pole or two in the water.

6. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I agree with this post completely, especially on the smaller rivers where true trophy fish are much more scarce, the limbline laws are antiquated at best, I know of no one who feeds their family off of what is caught on limb or jug lines so in my eyes where is the sport in this? this is just my opinion and Im sure others here will disagree and they have that right but I for one feel that this type of fishing hurts the sportfishing aspect of catfish that we all cherish again this is only my opinion but I CPR all fish over 10 lbs I want my children to have a chance to catch trophies as we all have had. :smile2:

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, You bring up a great point about the two pole limit vs fifty hooks on a line here in Ohio. I had never given it much thought, but you are right on target. I think I will have to bring that question up to my local game warden.

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Jason, I am just as upset with illegal jugs and trotlines,limblines as you are but it should be reported to the proper authorities instead of removing and disposing of them yourself, by doing this you are breaking the law the same as the guy with the lines,it is a stiff fine if anybody is caught messing with another mans lines illegal or not and you could even be accused of being in the process of setting them yourself if caught removing a unmarked line,just a thought,but illegal is illegal in the eyes of the law,and removing anothers lines is just as illegal as setting them

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Point well taken.

10. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    now if they were my lines and equipment. you are messing with . legal or not legal. and i catch ya. you wouldn't have to worry about being caught around my illegal lines. cause we would have to have a talk you and me. but i dont set lines and never have nor prolly ever will. just a thought though bud. you would be irate if someone was messing with your goods. i agree with just about everything said . except removing them yourself. just remeber you can take the smallest person or animal. and piss it off . you might have more on your hands then you bargend for you know

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I put out trotlines, and banklines to put fish in the freezer. if i already have enough, i just pole fish. if i catch a monster, i let it go. i mark all my lines, and follow the loosely regulated rules. i agree the reg's. are'nt strict enough to prevent people from raping the waters though. i also dont agree with the 2 pole limit we have here in illinois either. i like to fish with huge baits, and bites are few and far between. so using only 2 lines almost takes the sport out of it, and makes it work. I agree with part of this post. the regulations should be stricter for lines. especially people that dont mark them, or in fact never retrieve them. that boils my blood to find an old line with dead fish on it. and, i think they should loosen up the 2 pole limit. it ISN'T fair that liners are easily allowed over a hundred hooks. and, we are restricted to 2 hooks each on 2 poles. sounds like some comprimizing is in order here...

12. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    i have some friends that set bank li8nes on this small little creek bhind my anuts house and arnt identfifed so they give me perminstion to check them for them and i cant them and trash them because i hate it so bad and i hate the 2 pole limit because i have like 5 cat poles that i wont to use but i cant so i got to take two and use them but i bring more just in case if i snag and brake a line but thats it and i cpr all of my fish that i catch