Trot lines in Arizona

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by SandyCatfish, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Are they legal in AZ? I read if you are catching bait fish it is ok. What is legal in AZ? A one lb. cat fish can be bait fish for a 8 lb channel fish. Right? If my b/f and I have both have a 2 pole stamp....can we we have 4 trot lines out at night while we sleep? Sandy

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Handlines or trot lines are legal in AZ for baitfish only and must be attended at all times. I am not sure how many hooks are aloud on a baitfish hand line or how many handlines you can have at one time. Or if you can use hand lines for bait and still use two fishing poles to fish at the same time. All game fish caught on bait hand lines or traps are suposed to be released. Catfish are Game fish and can not be used as bait in AZ. HTH

3. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Sandy,

From what I understand from the AZ fishing regulations, the trot lines that we are familiar with are not legal in Arizona (trot lines with twenty or so hooks on them). It sounds like you can use trot lines to catch baitfish, but catfish are not termed as bait. They are listed as a game fish.

I remember looking over this info when a couple of us were looking at the Colorado River regs. We were looking to see if bullhead cats were termed as baitfish or game fish. The California and Arizona regs both list catfish (all species) as game fish.

With a two pole stamp, you can legally have a total of four hooks out at one time...two on each pole. This has always been a big issue for me since moving back from Georgia where there is no pole number restriction.

Ryan

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    sure wish we could trot line or jug Roosie, you talk about pulling out some meat!!:eek:oooh:

5. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    HELLO All
    I still don't know what the big deal is about Trot line, jug fishing or the need for more than two poles. I can get all the bait I need with this new luer that I came across when I was living in Oklahoma. It's called a Dupont diver
    (half stick) one cast, let it sink, pick-up floating bait and put in live well. If it don't start moving around in live well use for cut bait..

6. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    where do u find it? I am interested. Sandy:wink:

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Bill,

You just ain't right!!!!! That Dupont diver lure of yours is gonna get us in trouble.

We need to go fishing!!!!

Ryan

8. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Ryan, Whats up, are you about done with the honey-do list??.
    Went to river friday after thanksgiving, The wind blew everyday, the river was the low, and it was cold. We didn't even put the boats in the water. We tryed to fish the canels but no luck. Now I don't mind fishing in the rain, snow or cold but the WIND SUCKS, and that all I have to say about that...
    So I came home on Monday. Maybe go back for another try day after new years. Got to give new reel a try.. Well keep up the yard work and keep the snow off your head. See you at the river, whenever you can get there.
    Later Bill

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

"Right on" Good to see ya posting Billy Jo.... Have to "hook up" with sometime soon?..Blythe.... Yuma/Martinez......maybe the BlueHunter thing in April?

bayrunner ray

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Man all I can say when is it going to be summer, o bill, depont diver lol, hey Ryan how goes it dude. O ya in my humble opinion harvesting cats with with a trot line, jugs, ect, just isn't sport fishn, I think its alot more of a sport getting cats with a bow and arrow and It's best not to talk about that in front of dudes from Texas lol, been there done that:tounge_out: