Trot Lines...for sport or food?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cubedweller, Jun 5, 2007.

1. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    This isn't a loaded question, I'm just curious:
    If you run trot lines, how many do it for food vs. sport?

2. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Both....I have found if I set lines latter in the summer I catch a lot more of what I consider "target" sized catfish...and channels in particular. Earlier in the spring I know I can catch some large flatheads but I tend to set them free. So I do it for sport and table fare. I turn the large fish back and keep the 5-15 pound range channels to eat. I keep Flatheads in the 8-15 pound range. I primarily set limb lines and go after channels...we dont have Blues in my home waters or I would go after them. At this time I am attempting to get enough fish to have a fish fry for the baseball team I coach....so I have kept more than in years past. I am such a flathead fan that I am pretty particular about what I keep and I am always thinking about what kind of fishing I hope to preserve for my kids....I try to set a good example for my kids so they will someday carry on with good habits. we always pick up our trash and whatever trash is around us. If a person cant take being a dad seriously they need to just go ahead and die IMO.

3. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I say both also....

I fish catalpa worm lines with the kids for fun and food. These worms generally catch 10"-17" channel cats. I use a #1 stainless hook we are after action and supper.

I also trotline with live bait and shad for big blues and flatheads. I like to catch 20+lb blues but don't keep them, I just like to see big ol catfish. Flatheads throw alot back under 5lbs and keep the 5-10lbers because I love eating flatheads. Looking for a 50lb blue or flathead when I fish.

I use the lines to scout fish, you can usually get som action on a RR in the same area. Helps elimenate fishless water.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Both. It's definitely a good way to stock up the freezer, but I don't recommend trotlining alone, and any time you can get on the water with a friend you're ahead of the game. If you can get several sitting around a fire, running the lines occasionally, you have a memorable occasion. Too, there's something about having a line in your hand with something you can't see jerking on it. Some of you old farts like me who have done some handlining in salt water know what I'm talking about.
    But the term 'sporting' means different things to different people. I know people who feel that rod & reel fishing for catfish using live or cut bait is 'unsporting'. My uncle that raised me liked to bass fish, so that's what I grew up doing. But he felt that using anything but an artificial lure for bass was 'unsporting'. I guess crappie fell into a different category or something, because it was ok to use minnows to catch them.
    Not everyone is going to enjoy trotlining any more than everyone is going to enjoy fishing for bass, carp, or marlin. Their likes and/or dislikes have absolutely nothing to do with whether something is 'sporting' or not, as a general usage term.

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Both. I love to eat catfish and I love to catch them. Theres nothing like taking hold of that line and seeing mud boil in shallow water or something down deep that dont want to come up. Its just plain good fun.... I keep the eaters and take pics of the big ones and let them go.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Both. I like to set limb & trot lines a couple of times a year just to do something different. I keep the eaters, the big ones usually get off on their own. I generally do it for a week at a time so I can fine tune things.:cool2:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I do it for food.
    When decide to feed the 70 or so fish. That is fast, And don't have to freeze them. Just fish 2 days and have enough fresh fish to feed them all.
    Enjoy fishing trot lines when I can handle it. But its not an easy way to fish.
    Pete

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Let's see now, that's:
    Find 'em
    Fish 'em
    Fillet 'em
    right?

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I do both. I love to trot line. you never know what you will have on the line.

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I mainly do it for food, but I have to admit it is fun when you have a monster jerking on the line while you are running it.

11. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Jerry, those are a different "3 Fs" than the ones which I was familiar with. :lol::lol::embarassed:

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Trot for food:eek:oooh:
    Jugs for fun:lol:

13. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Both for me to, keep th ones 3- 10 lbs take pics w/all cats an throw th bigguns back.

14. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Well said there COOK!!!!! well said!!!!!!

15. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    All my line running is for food.

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do it for both reasons as well. Firstly, that is how I was taught to fish for catfish. Catfish to me have always been a food fish, not necessarily a sport fish. I will likely never enter a catfish tournament. I run lines, and rod and reel in between while waiting to go check the lines. I set 2 small (15 hook) lines in out of the way places, and only for a couple of days at a time, then remove my lines. Setting trotlines is hard work, and fun. I wouldn't call it unsporting like some do because even though there are all those hooks, not all of them will have a fish on. Wouldn't it be a dream to pull up a line, and have 15 catfish boiling beneath it? Doesn't happen that way. At least not for me. If I have 2 to 4 fish on at one time, I cosider it a success. Once in a while, I come up empty handed. Once in a while, I will catch a biggun, but not too often. I would love to hook into a 30-50 pound fish on rod and reel, but that hasn't happened yet despite my best efforts. What size fish do I keep? I like to keep channels in the 2-5# range, blues in the 10-20# range, and flats in the 15#+ range. I don't catch alot of flats anyway, so their ecosystem is safe from me overharvesting them. If I catch 5 flats in a year, that is pretty good for me, and I fish big water like a 55,000 acre lake, and the Missouri river. To those who say I do wrong....:tounge_out:.

17. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i do it for both reasons. my family eats alot of fish. but it fun going to check my trotline not knowin if there is a 5lb or a 50lb on the line.. so far my biggest fish on the trotline was a 14lb blue and an 11lb blue i caught this week and caught a few 2-3lb. dont get me wrong i like fishing with the rod and reel but i also dont like going home empty handed very often.