trot lines by an oldtimer

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 22, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well heres the age old firestarter lol. but for those that have never done it , wonder how, or why. heres an old timer showing how its done. and guys like this are not gonna wipe out the species. he sounds real sincere about the rules and not screwing up the treasure he so much loves.

and we have seen these fools on youtube trying the task of filleting a cat and just making a mockery. this old timer does it with an old pocket lockblade.:smile2:

and i hope when i get old im still able to get out on the water and catch some fish. though i do more rod and reel and only run lines 1-2 times a year down the creek here just for the fun and mostly end up with a few turtles. but i enjoy a good fried catfish and like to host a few get togathers and fry some fish for the buddies.

whats a minner? and a willer? lol.

[youtubevid]5h2VrWDlmv8[/youtubevid]

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    good ol boys fishing the way they know how!!!!

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Good one Jeremy. Enjoyed it. Thanks.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Brings back a lot of memories. I haven't trotlined in years, mostly because I don't care to trotline alone; it's too dangerous. Sure would be nice to find someone in the Little Rock area that needs a partner. Either someone who already knows, or someone who just wants to learn how.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My mother was born on a house boat on the lower end of white river. I've ran trotlines since i was old enuff to get in a boat. I really like to feel that line jerk. Not alot of people run lines like they use to.

6. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    There is a special feeling in seeing the fish rolling in a line out in front of the boat in the bright moonlight. Lotta fun. Thanks for digging up the video, Jerm.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont know weather to clap for this little sub fourm on ALTERNATIVE fishing methods or cry discrimination.

now maybe some of the self proclaimed do no wrongs can stay out of our new area. or come to complain?

IS THIS SEGRAGATION?:eek:oooh: i have some mixed feelings on this area i guess. posted in all catfishing and it was shoved over here. hadnt noticed were supposed to keep our OTHER methods off the regular board?:eek:oooh::confused2:

well we will see. maybe a good idea but for now im thinking were loosing the battle to the CPR activists?:sad2:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Guess i'm an alternative kinda guy:smile2: or is that Altered?:eek:oooh:

9. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now that was a damn good video.

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    that is gonna be me and smijen in bout 20 years!

11. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thanks Jeremy, that was a good video. I can't hardly wait to set a few limblines and a trotline or two.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for sharin! That ol boy lives the life! Long lazy days on the river catchin supper. God bless the simple life.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thought some might like to see it. i enjoied it. nothing ide rather do on a hot day is get a 6 pack and hop in with a fella like that. thats just good old fashoned fun.

14. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Well, I got together with bro Matt last night and set a couple of trotlines. We started to pull them up at 10:15pm, just as the moon was rising over the water. Let him pull all the fish. It was a heavy harvest, as folks say here, lol.

We got a bit of a moonburn, and lots of fat seacats. There`s lots of them here, and they are seldom harvested, so I don`t feel shy about it at all.

It sure is a lot of fun. Now comes the drudgery, tho. Cleaning them.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's kinda how i do it jerry. i make the initial cut halfway down the front of the ribs, cut around the dorsal fin and continue down the spine till you're on the spine above the anal fin. push your knife up from the anal fin and vent to connect the cuts, then cut down to the tail and separate the skin from the meat. you don't have guts popping out, and i don't eat the rib and belly meat on channels and blues anyway, it's the dogs' food. on a flathead though...

jeremy thanks for posting such a great video. man that makes me want to start trotlining and limblining again!

17. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Any idea where that video was taken? Man, that gets me in the notion to run some diddy poles!

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    from the minners and willers ide guess ky.:smile2: let me check if there was a location.

"Kentucky Afield" TV goes adrift on the Kentucky River this weekend, July 7 and 8, to show that with a trotline, you can do more fishing by 9 a.m. than most people do all day.
    We join "Lardo" of the Moron Brothers singing duo as he and Tim Farmer seek the secret to setting a trotline so that morning sets the hook on catfish.

lmao. i was right. ky.

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Jeremy thanks for the post. I dont do it myself, probably because I dont have a boat. Seriously, if its legal, what the hay. I just prefer the one on one myself as I dont really keep any eaters anymore, just because I dont know whats in the water these days here in las vegas.

20. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks. Homesick again, fer my ole Ky home:wink: