Trot lines and jugs during thunderstorms

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Majesticman, May 25, 2006.

1. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone have good experience with setting up trots and jugs for a stormy night. I tried a search and came up with zip.

Going over to KY Lake tomorrow afternoon to night fish for the weekend and it looks like storms will be coming through tomorrow night. Will be fishing off the main river about 3 miles on flats with drop offs unless you tell me different. I can fish the main river also.

Looking for information on where, bait and how deep. I never tried to set up a certain way for a storm but have had good luck with stormy nights. I know there are guys on here that can help.

Any help will be appreciated. I will report back on Monday.

2. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One more thing. There is a river at the end of the bay. Will they run up the river during a storm?

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I never set out any lines specifically for a storm, but I've had lines out for several weeks at a time, during good weather and bad, and had some very good luck catching catfish during bad weather. Of course, I also got trotline hooks in both hands, swamped my boat, had it turn over, and lost most of my gear while running my lines during a storm. You might wanna watch that kind of thing.

4. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some of your best fishing is right before or right after a storm....sure doesnt hurt to try.

Just be careful of the elements!

5. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Thier is a great post in the library tittled-putting the odds in your favor-it tells you all about fishing durring and after a storm.I think it would answer your questions.The BOC library is full of great info!

6. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I set up 2 lines one with worms the other with leaches. The leaches did well but the minnows netted me a 52 pounder. My personal best. That was the only difference I have noticed.

7. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jug were out of the question this weekend because of the holiday thieves.

I put the trots in a safe place with no markers and close to home so I could keep a good eye on them. I set them out with the storm on the horizon so I wasted no time setting them.

8. My thinking tends to go along with Jess. Stay off of the main channel. To much risk involved with a storm on the way. I would think that a spot near the main channel but sheltered from the main flow may be a place where cats will rest up and wait for the flow to bring dinner to them. Sloughs and bays just off the main channel would be a strarting point. Humps with eddies and eddies behind channel islands might be another area to look at. Rising currents and waters are usually a prime time for cats to fatten up on what gets washed down. Just don't let yourself be one of those things that get washed down.
    Another thing I've noticed in high water here. More water does not nesacerrily flow in the same pattern as does when at normal flow. Water will seek the path of least resistance so it may shift around in different ways from what you are used to especially if it decides it is time to cut a new path. Be careful and good luck.
    BTW it should go without saying that you should run for cover when the heavy voltage starts rumbling.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just had a thought about the 'holiday thieves' and jugs. It sure would be interesting to put out a few jugs with short lines attached to a snake and just set back with binoculars and watch the show. Wouldn't have to be a poisonous snake, just some harmless water snake. Can you imagine some thief picking up a jug that looks like it's got a catfish on it, only to find that he's picked up a jug with a snake attached by only a foot or so of line? America's Funnies Home Videos?

10. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats gotta be the smartest thing ive heard, ever. i dont even use jugs because people wont leave them alone. another problem ive had is with throw lines. a snake would set some fireworks off for whoever was caught redhanded...

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    That would be to funny to watch, almost as fun as fishin juggs. I think the next time I set out my line I'm gonna put a fake human skull on one of the end hooks.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That might be as funny as the snakes. :lol:

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Yeah I'd love to be in ear shot when they pull up that line.lol

14. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have always thought about putting a jug near a bank and attaching a switch and a 12 volt battery that would turn on lights, take a picture, and have a car horn go off so they wouldn't stay to get the camera.

Then I would post the picture at every launch and bait shop on the lake explaining what happened.

That would make people think before they grabbed a jug.