Trot line vs. Rod and Reel for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by beaneye46, Jan 25, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what would you rather do, catch a world record trotlining or catch a state record rod and reel.
    I'm sorry but i'm against trot lining and netting unless it means your family will starve if you dont.

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Cody, IMO, I'd rather catch anything on a rod n reel vs using trot lines. Texas has laws on trot lines, but, with the water down so low right now, you'd never know we ever had laws. In one small section of the lake we counted 36 abandoned trot lines out there. You would have never seen them if the water had been at normal level. No telling how long these lines had been out there. It was a mess. It would really suck to be fishing there by boat and the water be at normal level, have a nice cat take yer bait and then get hung up in some BS ol' trot line that someone left out there a year or more ago.
    Now if a guy wants to fish them that's fine by me, to each his own. But, pick yer s*!t up when yer done, Please.....
    I think if your state says you can fish that way, then that's ok, but I know a few ol'boys out there that just clean up on the big cats and keep'em. Should be a stronger law on how many ya can keep from Trot lineing, maybe a tag or something. I IMO , think they are hurting the fishing by this means.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I would have to side with T-Bone on this one. It isnt even the idea that it would be a record, its just that its the fight that matters to me, and trotlining is only something that I would do if I was trying to catch large amounts of fish. I mean, trotlining is good and all, but just getting a fish isnt much fun. You have to beat him in a game of strength and wits, and thats why I fish.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    most definately rod and reel! i do trotline too but its really not much fun, more like work lol. it has its place though.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rod and reel for me, I wont fish with anything else, if I did I would not count it even as my personal best.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Of course I would rather catch a world record on rod and reel. I might be wrong but, I do believe for the IFGA to certify a record catch it must Be on rod and reel and not By alternitive methods.

I also use setlines and have for years. I make sure that all my lines are set and attended to by the letter of the law. Set lining is kind of tradition here in the midwest, and while some don't care for it, it is legal in Kansas. I CPR ALL of My setline fish and the vast majority of My rod and reel fish as well.

T-bone, over-harvest By any means can hurt the fish population. I'm willing to bet that the folks that have no respect for creel limits break them with there rod and reels as well when the oportunity arises. Some people just don't get it !!!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is a topic that has heated arguments on both sides..Brad is a great sportsman, I wish everybody was more like him.

I can only speak for ohio, seems we are different than any other state:mad: Appx 90 percent of the people that i know of who currently run trotlines, or have in the past do so for one reason, to sell the fish. So my views on them are tainted.

8. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    [FONT="Arial [SIZE="3"]I myself am an avid rod and reel type of guy. I have nothing against people the use lines. Myself I just Like doing the good'ol R&R.[/SIZE]"][/FONT]

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i feel ya jack, our waters arent capable of supporting the "commercial fisherman" (legal or illegal). heck, its BARELY capable of supporting those who wish to eat a few fish a year! just remember not all us "line runners" fit the stereotype.:D

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Rod and reel for me....were is the challenge in anything else???

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I must agree with ya on that one Brad, I'd like to think that most all catter's out there do right by the law. Jack and I both have tainted views, Mine is because I see so many abandoned lines out there.
    I hope not to tinkle off anyone that uses trot lines, it's just that it upsets me to know someone could leave such a mess out there and not care.

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    No matter what laws You write, some will always break them. Your not supposed to steal but some people steal. Your only supposed to keep so many fish, and some people will keep more irregardless. some even sell fish to ********. Its all poaching in My mind.

Most people that have never been set lining think that you just go scatter a bunch of hooks & bait willy nilly all over the river, go home and sleep, wake up the next day and go simply pick up all these huge fish!!! Thats what I thought when i got started! Well, I guess You can try it that way but I've never found it to be all that productive.

You see the big flathead in My avatar....it is a setline fish, We caught Three fish that night. a #20 on rod and reel and two on setlines, #60 lb blue and the #75 flat. TOTAL number of set lines that night 6. there were three people in my boat. oh....... buy the way it took about ten minutes to boat that big flat, after he destroyed My net.

I place my sets in specific areas for specific reasons. I rarely come close to having all the lines the law allows in the water at once. I've learned that a smaller number of well set and attended to lines is better then a large unmanagable number of sets.

I mostly use setlines to flatten the learning curve when learning new sections of river. once I locate areas that the fish are using I don't set lines in that hole........ i set my @$$ and fish.

13. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Yea T-bone Those guys tick me off as well. but so do all the rod and reel fishermen that throw a big tangle of fishing line on the shore for Me to come walking through! not to mention bait containers, drink cans, Etc....

abandoned lines is littering as well. We all have it in our best intrests to leave the outdoors cleaner then we found it. leave only foot prints or a wake!

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Yes Sir, you are right, that burns me up also. I should of included those guys too.

15. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I have to agree! I grew up seeing family members fish with commercial nets, trot lines, etc. Then I saw family knowingly use fish traps, to many trotlines, & many other illegal means.:eek: To this day it still makes me mad!:mad:

Maybe that is the reason I CPR almost everything I don't need for food. If I don't need it for food then it goes back in the water. I just enjoy the sport of fishing and want it to be around for my kids & grandkids to enjoy.

Frank

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Ken that says it all. Vern

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup, any of that stuff is just taking the sport out of fishing. Steel hooks, artificial line, mechanical reels, boats---all of that takes unfair advantage of the fish. Now me, I don't believe in using nuthing but deer or buffalo sinew for line, a V-shaped bone for a hook, and a tree branch for a pole. If I need to get out on the water, I use a floating log. Anything other way of fishing is unsporting.
    Buncha BS, right? I used to work with a guy who only fly fishes for trout because he thinks that any other method is unsporting, and that any other fish is trash fish. But, he recognized that was only his personal opinion, and that he had no right to try to impose it on others; or for others to impose their fishing methods on him. Except by the passing of laws, of course. Not everyone enjoys or believes in fishing. What's our reaction when they talk against it?
    Very few people enjoy every legal method of fishing in existance. But, they're there because some people do enjoy fishing that way, and obviously consider that method sporting. Whether I get as much enjoyment or challenge from being limited to using only one rod & reel, or one method of fishing is a personal feeling; for me to say that another person shouldn't engage in some legal activity because I don't enjoy or believe in that activity is...well, come to think of it, is just the reasoning behind 9/11.
    If I believe that commercial fishing is wrong, then I need to gather facts to prove my case, take it before the public, and get the law changed.
    I enjoy trotlining. I enjoy jugfishing. I enjoy fishing with more than one rod & reel at a time. I don't care a lot for snagging, but I'm not rabid about it...as long as it's legal, and you enjoy it, go right ahead. I'm not about to stick my hand into some dark hole to try to grab a fish, but where legal, go right ahead, if that's your thing.
    Sorry for the rant; didn't mean to step too heavily on anyone's toes.

18. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I would much rather catch a fish rod and reel. As a matter of fact I have never once used a trotline.

19. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Rod and reel for me also. But I do occasionally enjoy jug fishing.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Jtrew said it all right there, I agree with him 100%. I feel it is not the method being used, it's the people that abuse the method they use that hurts the fishing. I know a good many commercial fishermen on these lake and most all constantly move their lines so they don't overfish a hole, on the other hand I was camped by some sport fisherman that kept fishing the same little bay for 2 weeks cause they were catching fish when they left it took that bay the rest of the year to recover. Now I know not all fishermen, both sport and commercial, are like this but there is abuse and conservation on both sides. We need to get off methods and work together on ethics if we want to improve our sport. As for myself I enjoy both r/r and running lines, both are great fun.