Trot line science project

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Sep 14, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    this year i have to do a science project, so i thought hey why not tie my project into fishing, so i did, im gonna set out 6, 20 hook trotlines in a local lake, (havent decided which one yet) 3 of the trot lines will be white, 3 of them black, there will be 1 black and 1 white trotline in each spot, all catch will be thrown back, (science teacher says i cant keep em) but im gonna let each line have a 24 hour soak, i thought it was a good way to get my parents to take me out to a lake so i can fish!!! at first i was gonna see which ost more fish, khale hooks or circle hooks, but she liked the trotline idea better, so im gonna stick with that one!

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    you got one kool science teacher

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Thats great, you'll be getting a grade for something you like to do. Are you going to post your results on here?

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yep im gonna take pictures and ill make sure to post em on here!! i think im gonna start next weekend or the weekend after, but it should be fun! oh and ill try and run most of the lines where some feeder creeks enter the lake, the others will be set in timber

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Why dont you rig one trotline with circles and one with Kahles in each place.That way you would have two data points to study.:big_smile:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    or you could load every other hook on your lines with a diffrent hook. circle, kahle, circle, kahle, that sort of idea. make sure your bait is consistent in size and type as well. you dont want to many variables messing up your results.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You're a smart kiddo ,Kev shoot I would never thought that one up ,way back when I was in school. Hope ya get a goodun and a good grade :big_smile:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds great Kevin, you definitely have a good teacher, (I was lucky in that way back in high school also, our Bio teacher would give us extra credits for bringing in snakes for his classes to study.) Buy the way, you gonna have your teacher help ya run them lines? And,I like the others ideas on maybe different hooks on the line with a consistent bait, providing that you can get them? Good luck, will be looking for your findings.

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    you got one awsome science teacher

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's ONE SLICK CON!! I wish I'd thought of that when I was your age. You ought to get extra credit for working on your project on weekends.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a great idea,kevin!

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What other courses are you taking, Kevin? The 'interaction' between you and your science teacher should be good for extra credit in any kind of course involving how to interact with people. :wink:

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    That sounds like a good deal.keep us posted.

14. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Now that's using your head my little friend, Keep us posted...

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was almost afraid to open this post. Way to go kid!!! Proud of you!!

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kevin...This is a response to your PM asking about some good locations to place lines in a lake that i'm not familiar with. Here is an exaple of where I would place some lines in a lake that I AM familiar with. It's a small public lake inhabited by mostly b*ss, and channelcats. If it were legal to set lines in this lake, this is where I would place some. Make sure of the regulations at public lakes before setting lines there. Also, about how often to check the lines...here, legally, they must be checked every 24 hours. When possible, I check mine every 3-4 hours, and I don't leave them out for more than 2 days at a time due to my schedule.

Attached Files: