Trot line/jug fishing?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, Apr 28, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Just wandering if any of you boc brothers here in indiana set any trot lines or jug fishing? I have a friend (not a boc member) that loves so set trot lines. I have been a few times with him and it was a real blast to set/bait all the hooks and go back to check the line for fish. It was a method to catch them when we couldnt catch them on rod/reel. By the way I have been trying to get him on the boc.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Allen welcome to the BOC from .N.C. i,ve not fished a trott line yet but i have one to try it ,i enjoy setting an running limb lines though

3. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to you to Dickie. Limb liners seemed to be frowned upon here in indiana on the boc. To many people setting them and leaving them or putting a hurtin on a body of water by keeping everything they catch. Think there was some poachers from out of state involved on this one as well. You should have read the post by DR.Pepper I think. Him and his posse were going to take them limb liners out on his favorite creek mafia style! Just kidding, but read his post about limb liners. Good luck fishing and be safe.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If it is legal then fish the way you want to. Just because u like to limb line does not make u a bad person. There is to many members that only like r&r fishing and all other methods suck. All fisherman need to do there part and PICK UP AFTER THEMSELVES BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER IS NOT THERE TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOU. So there fourth every body gets a bad rap. It the outlaws that are ruining all sports not just fishing. I hope that we as BOC members are not any of the trash leaving fisherman. God bless each and every one of you.

5. jugfisher

jugfisher Member

State:
    kentucky
    Name:
    Clint Howard
    I totally agree. I have tried a lot of methods of catfishing: jugging, bank poles, limb lines, trotlines. I never keep more fish than i need and i always clean up after myself. Don't let anyone tell you that your method of fishing is wrong, if its legal, it can't be wrong.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    Allen, we set out limb lines sometimes. pretty cool when you round the bend and see the limb jumping around. you know your about to get wet! we set them out on the way down river and retrieve them on the way back. most are set by wood just so the bait splashes at the surface.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was talking about limb liners poaching fish... breaking laws by not tagging their hidden lines, or have too many lines usually abandoning them. If you pull stunts like these in our neck of the woods and we catch you won't be going home without some serious legal troubles... as it should be. Abide by the laws and Theres nothing to say ... Until the laws change. I've tried it a few times... its just not fun for me- it's w/o challenge. Until we get those laws changed well always take heavy drains on our fisheries every year by limb liners... thank god commercial fishing is at least illegal in our state- but no bag limit and no size limit catfishing is putting a BIG hurt on us all, no matter what method is used.
    There is an alternative section link on the home page... go check that out.
    I agree that those methods are frowned on by some, but if you earnestly listened to the ones doing the frowning explain why,,,, you just might understand their concerns.... and they are very valid ones.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    when we set lines we mark them with surveys tape with name an boat number on them like the law says to do when we leave we make sure to pick up the same # of lines we put out unless somebody stole 1 which we have had happen

9. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    I have found numerous limb lines my self with no tags on them. Luckilly there was no bait or fish on them, i cut them loose. One time some one had left a trot line stretched across the river and when the water was drawn down in the fall it had a fish hooked and suspended about 4ft off the ground hanging in the air. Boy that really p@#$%^ me off. I can understand dr.pepper with his situation he encountered. It is a shame that a few individiuals can ruin a good thing for others. Wish someone with some kind of authority could bust these people and make an example out of them. Im not against setting limb lines ive done it myself but people need more responsible and remove them when they are done.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    did they change the laws on commercial fishing down there? its been several years but, i have been told there are over a thousand commercial license holders in Indiana. i was also told, they are limited to the ohio, lower wabash and white rivers. what have you been told pepper?

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whaaaaaaaaat?:confused2:

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The last two times I have gone out I have found limb lines with bait on them and not marked and no one in sight.. If they are not marked, it then becomes mine and all I want is the takle thats on then... and if I catch you fishing private property that I have legal accesss to and you dont.. well... lets just say dont worry about gas mony for the trip home... I beleive if its legal then feel free to do it.. but if you dont follow the rules I will enforce then White River style!!!:wink::smile2:

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana