Trot Line Hooks? Where to find? Eagle Claw

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by nathan8372, Oct 20, 2006.

1. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Hey guys, my second day here on the board and I am lovin' it!

I noticed a lot of you guys use 'kahle' hooks. My question is, where would be a good place to find the Eagle Claw 090SS in 5/0 thru 9/0? These are the older stainless steel offset, ring-eyed hooks that were mainly used in saltwater. I use them on my trot lines for all types of catfish.

I have found some at the local hardware store at 34 cents each for 5/0. I have been using all of my grandpa's 'reserve supply' but now I think it's time to buy a couple hundred and I don't think 34 cents each is a resonable asking. I realize they are stainless but I am sure some out there has them a little cheaper.

Thanks for the input!
    ~Nathan

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nathan, welcome Texan. Always glad to see another catman from the Lone Star State. I'm all ready practicing the trash talk for next year as it didn't do too good this year. LOL. To answer you question, I have found that Academy carries a pretty decent selection of tackle, hooks included. Other than that there is always Bass Pro, but I don't know if the 35 cents would cover a hook from that store. You may try internet sources like Calabeas (sp) or Catfish Connection. The only thought or opinion I'd like to throw your way is to not use the stainless steel hooks unless you really have to. The ones you loose can keep on killing fish and birds for years - under the right circumstances. Please get a good grade hook that will eventually rust so the fish can fight another day. Just my opinion. And again, Welcome.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Academy, Bass Pro, Cabelas, or you may try locating a bait shop in your area. Perhaps near a good size lake. I order mine from Bass Pro. They work great.... Good luck....

4. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Hey thanks for the help.

The reason I use stainless hooks is because the river water where I fish really digs into the classic non-stainless hooks. The stainless hooks I prefer (090 wire) is extremely strong for the huge yellow's we catch down here and thats what we have been using for years. I primarily use trot lines so the eyes of the hooks are much larger for the stagings used to support them. If I use a lighter guage wire, the hooks will break.

I tried all the major outfitters and nobody has them except very few internet sites, but I appreciate the help. I guess when these hooks run out I will have to either change style slowly to see what works down here or fork out the 35 cents each...haahaa!

Thanks Again Guys!

~Nathan

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nathan, I went to ebay and typed in "Eagle Claw hook, 090SS" and found two results. One was 6/0 and then this one... they were like $27.00 for a box of 100...

EAGLE CLAW Stainless Steel Hooks 100 Pack 7/0 SZ #090SS

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    hey nathon,you can get the EC090SS hooks you are looking for at captain hook's discount warehouse,they have them up to 9/0.the box of 5/0 in 100 count are $23...barlow's tackle here in TX has them too i think,if not john wiil get them for ya, but they are a little higher on some of their stuff..hope this help!

jerry

7. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Thanks Crome,

I will try the places you told me and I thank you, you helped me a lot!

~Nathan

8. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nathan,
    If you haven't found your hooks yet, you might want to check Memphis Net & Twine.
    www.memphisnet.net

They have an extremely interesting catalog, BTW.

9. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Hey you guys,

I found the hooks at captainhookswarehouse.com. Thanks everyone for the help.

~Nathan