Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,863 Posts
Spacing is or should be listed in your regulations, but i always put mine as far as my arm's will spread. Seems if a gar finds the line he won't pick it clean if the hooks are not so close together. It's alot of fun but i haven't fished lines in quite a while. Get ya a net and don't lift the fish up out of the water, they tend to flop off.

· Registered
224 Posts
I space mine 4-5 feet apart so when I am baiting one hook in the boat the next hook is still down in the water. Drop lines about 18" long with swivels on the mainline.

· Registered
10,792 Posts
Dallas,I allways liked to space the droppers about 6 ft apart with the droppers about 20-24 inches long,it helps if you are comfortable while netting em,they really go nuts if ya get their head out of the water.

· Registered
6,613 Posts
4 to 15 ft apart on hook spacing. Alot depends on where I set and what I want to cover. 6 ft is a good number for setten a general line gives ya some space and lets ya cover some water.

· Registered
207 Posts
I use the Magic Bait lines with the molded in stoppers I think they are 3ft apart. I use swivels on both ends of the drops..I like my drops 6-8" long gives them less room to run and you can hang them in a 5 gal bucket without having them tangle up..

· Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, here in Tx the reg is 3' apart, but I usually run my hooks 42" apart, with 6-12" drop lines. My trotlines usually are for eaters, but occasionally I run longer dropers w/larger hooks for some trophies, I C.P.R anything over 15lbs, and I dont take anything home I dont plan on eating w/in th next month, unless its for a fish fry. I have caught fish on everything from chkn gizzards(mariinated in vanilla, garlic salt and red kool-aid), livers, cut bait, live bait, ivory bar soap to peeled shrimp...and even a 2 or 3 on stink bait on a treble
so play with it, but DONT, if u can help it, attatch your drop line permantly to your main line. That makes for difficulty in storing. use th clip on things u can get from wally-world and swivels.

· Registered
1 Posts
for me it depends where i'm at. If I'm stretching across the channel of a river, I space them out more. If i'm running one right along a log jam, or any other prime structure, i'll put them as close as legal to increase chances. I've put out a couple lines that didn't have any hooks on them for about 20 yards until I got into targeted areas. I just like to increase my odds and not put bait where I don't expect ol' flatty to be hiding. Saves time and money on bait if your buying.

· Banned
10,335 Posts
i have never run lines befor and was thinking it would be fun for eaters my ? is how far apart should the drop lines be apart also how long should the drop lines be...
Eaters? The biggest cats caught are on trotlines!

Look at my avatar! It takes more skill to handline in a angry beast than reeling one in with rod and reel.

· Registered
532 Posts
I go 6ft with 18" droppers. I run 500lb braided nylon cord for the mainline and tie loops about 2" long every 6ft. I also add a heavy ball bearing swivel every 3rd hook. For droppers I use 180lb braided cord and tie loops in it on either end. I run a loop of the dropper through the loop on the mainline and run it back through itself like a noose. The other end of the dropper has a longer loop to run through the eye of the hook and back over the point and shank. This way everything can be made up at home, and the lines can be customized on the water. I only put droppers and hooks where I want them. I use old window weights to sink the line also tied to the loops with 110lb baler twine so I can break it if necessary.

I agree about the net being a great tool to have. Also for running lines the importance of a sharp knife within easy reach can't be overstated. If you stick a hook in yourself and have the boat drifting away you need to be able to cut free. I have knives mounted where I can reach them from anywhere in my boat, as well as my belt knife and leatherman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.