Trot line bait/s

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salthart, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a couple of questions really. I plan to fish tomorrow and I plan to run 2 trot lines. One I will place in water 8-10 feet deep and the other I plan to tie off on a tree near a steep drop off and as deep as it will go.

Looking for channels on the shallow kine and hope to pick up a few blues on the deep one.

Here in my home state, I can not bait a trot line with live bait. Hot dogs cut about an inch long worked great for channels last time but what should I use for blues ?

If its cut bait it will have to be gills or something store bought..

THanks in advance

2. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    cut bluegill is the best advice i got. works great on mine.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Id go 50/50 with cut skipjack and bluegill.:wink: May then get a mix of blues and flats.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    2x2 inch cubes of cut carp. Takes blues and channels well and freezes well. Cut carp is my no.1 fav bait next to mooneye.

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    If your going to buy something at the store try raw shrimp:wink:

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have also caught blues on chicken hearts.I would try a combo of your cut gills and chicken hearts.I like shrimp on rod and reels but have never tried it on a trot line.All are good ideas and I like to throw a variety of baits and let them tell me what they want.I know alot of folks say that the carp chunks are the way to go if you can get them.Good Luck and please post what worked the best for you.

7. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I think Blue gills and carp woul be the way to go.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Try the chicken hearts marinated in garlic salt. The salt will also toughen them up !!!

9. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I got to go at last and man.. Did I ever mess up ! because they are so tough, I went with chicken gizards.. 38 hooks and not a gizard touched in over 10 hours but one and it was gone ! Turtle I'm betting..

I'm pretty sure that next trip it will be hot dogs, Cut gills or maybe mullet if I can't catch gills..

Thanks to all of you for what you have offered.. Don't doubt that I will try what you offered if able and I'll try and keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would get some bluegills . Use the heads , scalee and fillet a couple that works great , also just chunk it .

11. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
    Hi, I use Zote soap on my trotlines when I can't get cut bait. Its cheap, stays on hook good, and I have never been skunked with it! GOod luck!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009