trot and jug line courtesy

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jnordyke, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I pole fish exclusively. There are a LOT of trot line and jug fisherman (apparently) this time of year on my pool(s) of the Mississippi (between Hannibal and Canton). As a matter of courtesy and to avoid getting beaten up, I would NEVER pull my boat alongside another boat fisherman and try to horn in. What is the accepted practice when a spot I want to fish is pretty heavily covered by someones jugs bobbing along?

I ask because last night, two of four wing dikes I planned to fish were just literally lined with jugs upstream and downstream - and we are talking 300 yard long dikes.

Assuming I can keep from snagging someones lines, is it ok practice to worm my boat in to fish? Give it up and go somewhere else? What do you pole fishermen do?

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Honestly i would fish right in the middle of the ones with fish on them. pull one up see how deep they are and start fishing. JK.

the way i see it if i was bank fishing and the shore was lined up with fisherman i would have no choice but to fish in between 2 people. if you look at the jugs like a different person casting from the bank then there is no harm. i wouldnt mess with their jugs but no one or two people have the right to keep you from fishing a 300 yd section of the stream.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yup, I don't see it as discourteous to the jugs to fish by them. :smile2: I won't mess with anyone's lines, but if I want to fish where they are, I'm fishing it. My take is and always will be that if somebody REALLY wanted to fish that spot, they'd be there in person. "Ghost man on first" only works in kickball in the front yard:smile2:

Even on the river, especially on holiday weekends, there are enough people trying to rod and reel and line fish that it's getting almost crowded. It isn't unusual to see a line set at almost every wing dam for a couple of miles of river. That, to me, is discourteous. Other people want to use these public areas and they're being effectively occupied by someone sitting home on the couch:smile2:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good post John. Welcome to the BOC.

5. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    According to the MDC as of a couple of years ago they have to be there when jug fishing. All jugs are suppose to be within the sight of the owner. This does not apply to limb lines or trot lines. If I saw a bunch of jugs out there with NO owner present. I'd collect them up and Sh*t can them and go on about my fishin"! I've seen this sort of thing to many times. I do the same thing with unlabeled limb lines. Way to many people put limbs lines out and just leave them there unattended for days and weeks. I've seen the damage that they do to the Wildlife. Hooked Ducks, Hooked Heron, Hooked Musk Rat. I have No respect for people like that, and cutting their lines or sh*t canning thier jugs "IS" the right thing to do!

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    When I say jugs, I mean anchored jug lines or floating trot lines, not unanchored jut lines. I should have been clearer. Sorry. :big_smile:

7. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Yeah, I was thinkin the MDC only required unanchored jugs to be attended at all times, with anchored being a jug with at least a 2 pound weight attached. As far as proximity, myself I try to stay away, but there have been times at night I have caught a trotline by accident because I wasn't aware of it. When I do see them, I just move on down cause I don't want to be there when the owner comes by, just to avoid any unnecessary confrontations or confusions.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. If I could fish the area without interfering with another's property, I would fish it. I would never touch someone else jugs are equipment. There is to much river out there to cause a problem.

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here in TN it is ok to leave your jugs. I don't leave the water, but I will go down river and little bit and anchor and wait for the lead jug to get to me, then go collect my jugs. But most of the time I can see them. But I will never leave a trotline out when I leave the water. What happens if I am unable to go check it. I don't really get into trot lines too much, but have experimented with them and do accept them as a whole. But there is the bunch of unresponsible people who will ruin everyone elses view for us responsible ones. :angry:

Good luck fishing all.

10. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    No problem Brendan, I'm just making myself clear on the damage that can be done by people who are careless. It has broken my heart to see the wildlife caught in the hooks of those people. To me, Is not fun to see a Heron hooked on a limb line, trying to fly and knowing there is no escape. I take my responsibility to my sport, and to the creatures that are here very seriously.
    Thanks

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont have a boat but depending on the width of the river and the amount of space between jugs id probably ease "snake" in and drop a line just to see maybe 30 mins. then go somewhere else. But thats a good spot if the jugs have been there awhile.. cats will be hangin around for diff. meals.

12. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri

The last agent that I talked to he told me it had to be deemed unmovealble. He told me it had to hold a 100lbs fish in the main current of the MO river. I wasn't going to argue with him, so we just pulled them particular lines

13. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    3 CSR 10-6.410 Fishing Methods​
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes the methods
    by which fishermen may take fish.​
    (1) Fish may be taken by the use of pole and
    line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line,
    jug line, gig, bow, crossbow, underwater
    spearfishing, snagging, snaring, grabbing or
    atlatl, but only as specifically authorized in 3
    CSR 10-6.415 through 3 CSR 10-6.550. No
    person may attempt to take fish by rock or
    hand fishing, with or without hook. Live
    bait, mussels, clams, bullfrogs, green frogs,
    common snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles
    may be taken only as specifically authorized
    in 3 CSR 10-6.605 through 3 CSR 10-
    (2) Number of Poles and Hooks.
    (A) Not more than three (3) unlabeled
    poles and not more than thirty-three (33)
    hooks in the aggregate, for any or all methods,
    may be used by any person at one time.
    (B) On the Mississippi River, not more
    than two (2) unlabeled poles and not more
    than fifty (50) hooks in the aggregate may be
    used by any person at one time. While fishing
    concurrently on the Mississippi River and
    other Missouri waters, not more than fifty
    (50) hooks in the aggregate may be used and
    not more than thirty-three (33) of those hooks
    may be used in waters other than the Mississippi
    River.
    (C) Trotlines and throwlines of more than
    one (1) individual may be joined together, but
    the number of hooks in the aggregate shall
    not exceed the prescribed number for one (1)
    individual on the waters that are being fished
    and the lines must be labeled with each person’s
    full name and address.
    (3) Hooks attached to throwlines or trotlines
    shall be staged not less than two feet (2')
    apart.
    (4) Live bait traps, hooks, trotlines, throwlines,
    limb lines, bank lines or anchored jug
    lines (rendered immobile from the location
    where set) may not be left unattended for
    more than twenty-four (24) hours or must be
    completely removed. Unanchored jug lines
    must be personally attended at all times.

14. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I do some occasional jug fishing, and in Oklahoma it is legal to leave the jugs unattended, with the caveat that they must be checked every 24 hours. I would NEVER pull up a jug with a fish on it, whether checking the fishing depth or the size of the fish, or any other reason. Jug fishermen just don't take kindly to that kind of action, and certainly wouldn't believe the explanation.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen a few times guys tossed anchored jug lines in evrery deep dike hole for 3 river miles. I just smile set anchor on a deep inside bend and catch a load of fish. Its a big river lotsa places to fish -- in fact fishing where others dont can turn into some good fishen spots. Yea the line mania seems to be a bugger around holidays and seems every one is fishen the river. Hit that same river on a week day --wow almost no peeps.:wink:

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have seen countless lines, both trot and limb lines, left after a holiday weekend. I have reported them till I am sick of calling. It seems to me the MDC would consider changing the rules on these types of lines. If these people cannot obey the laws then they should outlaw them all together. Before you start I know there are many people that do the legal thing. I am just astounded at the number of lines left hanging in the air when the river goes down. As long as they are legal I will not touch one because that is what the agent told me to do. He said it is their job and we should let them do it. Those of you that do fish legally should take this very seriously because when any law is abused enough it soon comes up for change.

17. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    My sentiments exactly Bob. I really don't mind these fishing methods when the rules are followed. I live very close to the Mississippi and spent allot of time on it. It's not hard to tell which of the lines are "legal" there labeled and show signs of being attended. Just like you though I've seen lines by the hundreds hanging out of the water when it drops. To make matters even worse most are not labeled, so calling the MDC will get nothing done. When those people put lines in and didn't label them, to me that says "Hey I have no intention of taking them back in"! I hope I didn't offend anyone in my earlier post but those lines are not legal! I cannot sit idle and watch the damage they do. So they get cut, collected up and disposed of. If at anytime a MDC agent wishes to contest this, I'd be happy to discuss it with them.

18. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i wouldnt actually pull one up that part of my comment was a joke sorry if it didnt come out like that. its hard to get a joke out in print compared to in person. however if the law would say that they need to be attended at all times then i would expect to see you and we could discus if you cared from me to fish there. i dont think it is right that you can leave them unattended.

19. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    JK = JUST KIDDING

20. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I Jug fish in Oklahoma when I want to keep fish to eat, its acceptable to leave your jugs or lines and attend them everyday. I usually drop mine off one hour before dark and pick them up a hour after dawn. I would not expect someone to not fish in a area where my jugs are located. Of course I expect the other fisherman to expect me to come by to pick them up the next day. And they usually don't mind me coming by and I am curtious and try to be quite using only trolling motor around other fisherman. I usually get some comments on what they saw me catch and go about my business.