Trophy Missouri channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kat in the hat, Oct 21, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's some pics of todays catch. I caught bushels of micro cats. My buddy Tom almost got skunked. My comment was..."What? Are you waiting to catch ONE that out weighs All of mine combined?" He said..."Yup." Well, he pulled it off at the last minute by dragging in this 18# channelcat. He didn't want his pic taken with the fish, so I filled in. The beast was released to grow, and hopefully be caught another day. Around here, channels don't commonly get this large, and especially in the reservoir we were fishing. We started out the morning in Miami, Mo. on the Missouri river. The river was out of control, and the wind was howling, so we cut our losses, and headed for a nearby powerplant cooling reservoir. I will include a couple of the cats that I caught for comparison. This reservoir is renound for being overpopulated with millions of dinks, so immagine our suprise when he pulled this in. At first, I thought it was a blue, but nope...just a big, grey channelcat. He was caught on rod and real, using cut shad.

Attached Files:

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice channel cats!

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That is one nice fat channel cat you have.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Matt===It was plumb decent of you to hold that nasty old fish, and get your picture took. I'll bet that fish got so big by eating those little dinks.

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Nice fish Matt and its babys.

6. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wondered how your trip on the MO went, I debated but passed and ended up fishing a feeder creek and still getting the hell blown out of me. The wind in Missouri was brutal today. Were you on Thomas Hill lake? Sorry I'm not real familiar with the Miami area. Nice channel. Were you guys drifting or anchored, drifting woulda been fun today (yikes) without a sock for sure.

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well, we lasted 3 hours on the river. Possibly SOMEBODY coulda had some luck. We weren't. Fighting the current, and wind was too much like work. Alot of large debris was threatening our well-being as well.

I had never fished Miami before either, and wanted to give it a whirl. I think it's a good strech of river under better conditions. BIG blues have been caught there recently.

Yes, we were on Thomas Hill in the fast water chute. Didn't want to get out on the lake, as the water had big whitecaps, and we already been in that situation this spring. Not a good idea imo. We were fishing in the first bend, where there's a cove on the left side (if facing upstream) and we were kinda out of the wind. ALOT of dinks!!! Wouldn't leave our bait alone for a second. Better than the zero action we were getting on the river. Needless to say, we were anchored, and tied to a branch on the bank. No drifting today.

8. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Nice fish matt, congrats to your buddie.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Nice bigger one. And thosr\e sure are some dinks. That looks loke pond stocking size.

10. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    are you allowed tokeep the little ones in an aquarium ?

nice channel..

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    nice cat.that took a true fishermen to put that big one back good for you.Now you might have wanted to mount one of those other ones though lol.

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Here, you can keep gamefish, and catfish in an aquarium provided you have a valid fishing permit, and the fish are part of your possession limit.

We did have a bullhead for a few years, and that was cool. It hid alot 'cause convicts are bullies, and ate it's fins and whiskers off at first.

Like bluejay said, they are perfect pond stockers though.:wink:

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nice job guys, thats a nice fish. The other two look like the ones I've been catching.

14. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Good lookin' fish! All of em! lol