Trophy Hunting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 28, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What is the criteria for a animal to be a "trophy"? To me a doe can be a trophy that you have chased for 2 years. Or a ol tom gobbler with no beard that has outfoxed you a couple times. What does it mean to you? And share your trophy story.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I shot a spike buck once ,on closer inspection this buck wasnt a spike at all ,rather a friek with 4 brow tines about 1/2" on one side and three on the other. The spikes were about 8" long .That was a true trophy to me .

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I bet that hurt:crazy::wink::big_smile:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OOOOK Guess I was in a bit of a hurry on that last post ,Thanks Kris for editing it for me and Mat for the rep on it too I'll probably never live this one down :crazy::big_smile:

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    A trophy can be anything though for me the meaning has changed. A first deer, first buck, first turkey and heck first bluegill can be a trophy. My first buck was my first trophy, a basket rack 7 pointer. After shooting some more like it the thrill wasnt the same, a trophy for me moved up to 150 class I got muzzleloading than to 170 class is what I have in my avatar. The next trophy for me would be even bigger, yeah right. Maybe if I see one close while bow hunting Id change my mind. Mostly Im done buck hunting unless a bigger buck than the one I have shows up. I figure Ill let the ones I pass on be someone elses trophy. I think if I ever get a turkey itll be a trophy no matter how big or small it is. I think a trophy changes the more you hunt.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    catfish over 100lbs weather it be a flathead or blue. bucks thats make the record books out side the fence. why you say? becuase that is where alot my dreams come from. i didnt buy the north american whitetail magizine for all them years without my own dreams of someday being in one of them. i will say the older i get the more i just see numbers though and value a hard earned win or loose in a fight for success with any outcome. trophies are starting to come to me as time spent with family and friends in the outdoors. just hard for me as a young hunter or fisherman to see that growing up but as times goes on you adapt. been a great ride so far so maybe someday i will have a story for you. until then i will be on the water or in the woods looking for a trophy!

7. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    My trophy hunting has become about the numbers, though I do consider my first buck a trophy. I think this helps other hunters out there cause I no longer take the first one I see or ones that I dont consider a trophy anymore. I do lower my standards bow hunting though and that could be looked at as numbers too, the record books numbers are lower for bow than ML and rifle. I do pretty good hunting but I need to get me a trophy by numbers fish.

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    The best trophy that I will ever see is when my son kills his first deer.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey derby i hunted with a guy once that told me this when he shot a deer..."he might not be a B&C but hes a B&C in my heart". i thought that was one of the best saying a trophy hunter could say. i plan to take my son on a big hunting trip next year and i can already tell its going to be a trophy hunt for me.....just spending time with him in the outdoors. ive hunted/fished some great places in my time but i can tell you them big bucks or big fish dont come easy most of the time even on a guided hunt. i have laid eyes on one b&c buck in my life an let him get away. ive hooks some giant cats in my time also to see them get away. i just havent been lucky enough to land or harvest one but i do have some trophy dreams and memories in my mind.......boy do they burn. i have to travel to live out my dreams of a b&c buck but i do live close to great catfishing waters. thats one reason im kind of down on hunting and up on fishing. i have to take what my area offers like so many of us do. so when your out there hunting this fall i will be on the water chasing that big blue living it up in the current from the hopefully rains this fall.:wink: good luck to all of you.

10. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Aint that the truth about B@C in my heart, my first one is about as special as any of em. I can remember more details of that one anyway. If I ever have kids Im sure their first one will mean more to me than any Ive taken. I think Im more on hunting cause my place is so close and did have some bruisers and it seems a bigger hassle and more expensive getting the boat ready and all that. Hunting I just do a little driving, keep my guns and bows shooting straight and off I go. I do think I need to concentrate and get me a 20+ weighed cat. I think I may have beaten that mark but I rarely weigh em. Good luck to everybody as well in your pursuits of those trophies.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    since theres so much hype on trophys, I'll add that I wish there were trophys for those that choose not to try to be like the folks on tv and shoot 'the biggest ' or best buck in the woods. I'm just looking for the hunt ,enjoying the outdoors . If something comes alomng thats nice ,ok but I generally shoot the very first legal buck I see .Our season is extremely short therefore we dont have the time to really hunt deer like a sportsman should .[3days ] how many of you "trophy boys" have that short of season,

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey 223 im not trying to be like the folks on t.v. myself. to be honest with you there is only a few t.v. shows that i will even watch because over half of them are in a fence....i dont care for that kind of hunting. i dont need a trophy that bad...i may never get one but if i do it will be fair chase. now to answer your question about the hunting season in my state. well bow season opens here next week and last until the first week of nov. then we have a week of muzzleloader and then rifle/shotgun season starts the following saturday and run til the first week of jan. now keep in mine also for years and years in my state you could harvest 4-5 bucks a year and does well.... they had a 1-3 day season on them during gun season for years. now we got tons of does and 90 percent of our bucks are less than 2 years old. now a couple years ago they opened the doe season up for the whole season and cut the buck tags back to 2 in some areas but not all. so in a lot of ways i share the same hunting methods as you because if i want to shoot a decent buck in my state i need to shoot the first one i see also. he wont go far...so no use in letting him slide til next season. last big buck i saw at my place. i saw him at 8.30 one morning and started to go in the woods that evening at 3.30 when i heard my neighbor shoot and harvested that buck. they dont last long so i elect to travel to hunt but never waste the meat for horns. the b&c buck i saw was shot 5 minutes after i saw him too. he was in the 180 class 5x5. i hunted that deer all week and let some nice ones walk in -20 degrees. i left that hunt empty handed. i just like hunting areas that hold 140 class plus bucks and take my chances weather i shoot or not. really it dont matter to me if i ever get a trophy but i still like to take my chances even when i hire a guide.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad to hear that Michael.,i know not everyone is a trophy hunting fanatic, but at times thats all we hear and it gets ya wondering .

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i will say i had more fun just hunting in my younger days where anything will do but i always wanted the big buck. dad always seem to pull the rabbit out of the hat with big bucks for our area. heck i sat at home drawing pictures of deer as a kid and even done a few research papers in school on the whitetail deer. my dad would shake his head and just couldnt understand why a kid was hooked on deer hunting so bad.:smile2: we would go rabbit hunting and heck the first thing i would do get out of the truck and make a big lap through the woods looking for deer sign. everybody said where is michael. dad said he will be back in a little while....lol. i didnt have playstation in my room growing up but i had big dreams at night when i would go to sleep and i still have them. so my big buck urge came at a young age before all this crap became t.v. this is what bothers me so much about folks posting up all the land. the new generation wont have a place to hunt like i did. nothing you can do about though. lawyers have set the table so to speak and now they are the only ones going to be able to hunt. money rules i guess you could say as most think it should. just hard for me to look at a kid and tell him he cannot hunt because he dont have no money. so i grew up hunting and i want my children to do the same if they are interested. i cannot afford to buy enough land to hunt on nor do i wish to chase a lease. always someone wanting to talk the land owner out of your lease by degrading you by telling the landowner made up stories. also folks trespass on your lease and do damage on the lease and the land owner blames you. just not worth it to me. i rather hire a guide and let him do the worries and i will pay him and enjoy myself.

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think Brian said it best. It's not what you harvest that's the trophy, it's what you think of it. To me, a trophy is different from what the next guy thinks one is. I just love hunting and being in the outdoors. I love watching the different wildlife and the colors changing while I'm in the woods. The time I get to spend in the woods is what I consider being a trophy. If I harvest an animal, that's just a bonus. I've got a couple big ones on the wall. I've shot alot more that I haven't mounted. Each deer or other game animal I harvest is special to me. Some are just bigger than others.

I found out in the first couple of years, that hunting was nothing like it was in the magazines or on tv. Once I discovered how to enjoy the hunting, and not the harvest, then it became a thousand times more fun! Now, like I said, a harvest is just a bonus, and there's never a dissapointment. However, I wish I could get a few more bonuses now and then, LMAO!

Figure out what a trophy is to you, and don't worry about another persons definition of one. It means something else to him. Just hunt, and enjoy!