Trophy hunter versus meat hunter

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catfishrus, Nov 14, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just wondering what everyone thought about these two. i know you cannot eat the horns but when you shoot a yearling or year and half old buck all your getting is half the meat you will have next year. around here a yearling will only weigh 50-75lbs by the end of december on the hoof. i just see some folks dont care about trophy hunting and to each his own but why not wait till next year and get the big steaks. i been on both sides of the fence over the years. i know some folks that just kill to give the meat away too. so what do you all think about it?

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    if im not going eat the deer im not going to kill it as for the small deer i wont kill a small 1 onless its getting closs to the end of season to fill my tags at the price of them you have 2 as for trophy bucks every 1 wonts to kill the big 1 but i cant eat them horns

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have tried every way possible to cook the horns so they wouldn't be as hard but i haven't found one way yet. I will shoot a small doe if i see one for the simple fact that they are better to eat, i try not to shoot a small buck if i can avoid it. I have shot small bucks in the past close to the end of the season.

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm a new hunter and I primarily hunt for meat. It doesn't much matter if it has a big rack or no rack at all. That being said, I wasn't about to pass up the 10 pointer that walked by Sunday! :big_smile:

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I consider myself to be a meat hunter. Here in PA theres a 3 point on one side requirement for bucks. so if its legal it'll be time to tag & drag. now of course should 2 bucks come by at the same time and one was bigger then the other, then I'll take the big one if I can.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

When I did hunt I hunted for meat. We were also, at the time, using doe tag's, meaning a controled harvest. So for the most part it was bucks that were being taken. When the doe restriction lifted we harvested what could be had.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I'm a meat hunter also. Not that I won't shoot a big buck if I have a tag to fill and he is there. Also we get one tag for a visible antlered buck and I will use it on just about any buck out there. I could maybe hold out and wait for bigger like I have done in the past and leave the season with an unfilled tag and an empty freezer. JMO Vern

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I don't hunt very often but when I do it is for the meat. OI honestly don't care about bucks. i think a doe's meat taste better and would rather shoot it. I have passed up 10-12 pointers hoping a nice tasting female will walk by. I hunt for food and fish for braggin' rights.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I know what you are talking about Mike. I actually wondered a few times when I lived over in Ky. looking at the small weight and size of the one's being harvested off Fort Knox. You'd stop at the Dairy Queen for coffee and look, heck; my dogs bigger that. I meat hunt but have seen em so small you could butcher em out in an apartment kitchen. I don't mind a small rack, but I want one that looks healthy and is worth the effort. Ya want a buck who'll dress out at a least 150#. A doe that will dress at least 80#. Here in Indiana in most counties, you can take an additional 8 does if you can pay for the tags. That ought to tell you something about the deer population here. We don't hunt the deer we ambush them. But there should be sportmanship in that. Hopefully one shot, one kill, one worthy. And there's luck to it just like fishing. This year I do have an eye out for the one that got away though....maybe it's because I'm reaching that age where I wonder how many seasons I have left? Nice thread.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Id have to say Im both a meat hunter and trophy hunter. So far this year Ive let the same 7 pointer walk twice and just took my third doe yesterday. I wont take a buck unless its a shooter to me.

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Since my 1st buck was a 130 class 10 pointer I have a feeling it will be tough to beat that with a bow, so the small buck had better watch out or he'll be on my table! :cool2:

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Its an old axiom that each hunter and fisherman goes thru 3 stages.1st is kill all I can, fill my limit, harvest all the law allows.2nd Trophy hunter,biggest horns, heaviest fish, largest trout etc.3rd conservationist,still harvest a big buck or an occasional fish or maybe take a fat doe,or a mess of catfish but for the most part more concerned about preserving the resource for the future.I would add that as you get older and the reaper is out there and you know it you become more reluctant to kill anything because you realize just how precious life is.For a healthy deer herd or any species for that matter harvesting the does ,small bucks etc is necessary.Hunting for the meat is the essential tradition of both hunting and fishing.Regulations and limits ensure we dont damage the population.So harvest what you legally can and be sure and utilize it.All phases are just as honorable as the next so no distinction should be made.I don't hunt deer much anymore but I'm still after those Elk.:big_smile:

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love to shoot deer. As a boy anything that was legal. I'm lucky that I get to hunt two family farms and the farms of two good friends. All are over run with deer and all have been in Virginia's deer management program for years. Way back when the buck to doe ratio was 20 does to every buck. Why you ask? Plain and simple, we were whacking anything that had even the smallest nodule of an antler on its head.

Flash forward 10 years.

There are still the same number of deer on the properties but the ratio is down to close to 2 does per buck. You still see loads of deer hunting with the added benefit of about half the deer sighted being bucks. All the guys hunting the properties pretty much respect the no small buck rule so every year we see some whoppers and a few end up hanging from the meat pole beside all the does we shoot. On my brother's farm, we took 33 does and only two bucks last year. Both bucks were nice mature 3 1/2 year old deer sporting ten and twelve point racks. This year we have seen three big ones and many many small six and eight point 1 1/2 year old deer. I'm already licking my chops thinking about what they will be like next year.

To each his own. I absolutely love to crunch deer with bows, muzzle loader, rifle, and shotgun. I just don't shoot little bucks anymore. As pointed out by many of the previous posts. "Doe meat is better"

I got an email from my brother's neighbor that his hired man got a 15 point 24 inch wide buck yesterday. If I get a hold of the picture, I'll post it. He has his ground in Virginia's deer management program also.

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I had 11 does and little ones walking all around me Saturday morning. They came within 15-20 feet of me. Saw me, stomped their feet and bobbed their heads up and down. I froze and never even blinked. Evidently my scent cover up worked. They went back to grazing and eating acorns. To bad I never had a doe tag. They was there for what seemed like about 45 minutes. I was squatted down and leaning back on a blackjack tree. Both legs and feet went to sleep and when they left I couldn't hardly stand up. But all in all it was truly enjoyable just to watch their antics.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats thats a heck of a first buck. I dont have to shoot a bigger buck every year just one that I consider worthy, no little ones or yearlings. I leave them for the kids and new hunters if they want them, really just personal choice. If I had to shoot a bigger buck than my last one 174 5/8 net, or the one before that I doubt Id ever shoot another one.
    Ive been thinking about not hunting the rest of gun season and pulling out the bow. Been wanting to take a deer with rifle, smokepole and bow all in one year.

16. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Im not saying you implied any enmity between the two groups, but as far as I can tell, I just don't like putting "versus" between any hunting or fishing lines. I think both hunting and fishing receive a lot of pressure from outside political and media sources, and if they had their way we would not be able to harvest fish nor game. Not that I am saying this thread is over controversy, only stating that whether you keep all your cats cause your hungry, or you cpr all of them, whether you hunt for a 12 point buck and give your meat to a charity organization, or take it home to throw in the freezer, we are all sportsman. So long as we all abide by the laws and rules that "govern" fair play and sportsmanship, we should all have eachothers back, regardless of preferance.

I see a lot of opinions here (some the same, some very different) and yet we all find a way to respect and aid one another. Groups like this only help to further our cause on a daily basis.

threads like these are why I love the BOC

-Chris

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for all the post on this subject. chris maybe i could have used better wording but thats what came to mind at the time. i really dont think either way is right or wrong on this subject.

jim i really like your post but it did make me fill older. i guess it kind of like my dad told me one day. he said i use to look around and everyone was old, now i look around and everyone is young.

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

I'll be more than happy to take any that someone wants to give me!

19. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I hunt 2 ranches. One here in Victoria county. We can shoot 1 buck must be 13" inside spread, 1 spike, and 2 doe. On this ranch we have great deer and I only shoot 1 buck here. I limit myself to 10 pointer or better and only shoot 3-1/2 yrs or older deer. This is my trophy ranch according to this thread.

The other ranch is in the south texas hill country where the deer are severly over populated. This ranch I take 1 buck and it's pretty much anything that I feel like shooting. Very seldom will you see a deer over 130 B&C.

I shoot 2 deer a year and this supplys my family with enough venison to almost make it through the year. (sparingly eaten)

20. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    It would be real nice to take a trophy buck and may be one i will. :big_smile: