Trophy flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by katfish ken, May 10, 2009.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The last 2 weeks of May is coming up and some great fishing lays just ahead of us. The big cat should be on the prowl looking for the best nesting places in the area where they live. This means that log jams ,the undercut bank, those big boulders with cracks big enough for Mr. Flathead to protect the young, will be visited by many big Flatheads in the next month or so. I figure the best chance at a trophy Flathead Is floating live bait ( native to the body of water) in the previously mentioned areas. Of coarse night fishing will give the most probability of the trophy you seek. The slip float rig will allow you to float bait by these areas that are in much deeper water than a fixed float system will. With the slip float it is possible to float bait by this type of structure to depths of 15-20' or more with no problem. So with this possibility it would be totally possible to drift a lake or river and catch some of the biggest fish.

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    do you beleive that a float will increas your hits, , ill find out, wen i get some this summer, ive been doing great on bottem, but i think a float would help keep them off the bottem wen fighting them in

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Great post Ken! With the water as high as it is there should be some new log jams & such to float a big live bait around. Thats 1 good thing about the flooding, new areas of structure to fish. I can't wait to get back after them!!!:wink::cool2:

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post Ken. So you think the BEST fishing will be in the next month or so?

5. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Yes, but if it doesn't stop raining long enough for the river to drop some I will have to use a boat anchor to keep a bait in the water.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Yes I think a float will improve your hookups. It will keep live bait from getting into cover and away from the passing flathead cruising looking for an easy meal.

Yes I think from now till the 1st of July will probably be the best chance at catching a good trophy Flathead in my area. I think with all the rain and flooding the spawn wont kick into full gear till the Last week of June or the 1st of July. They should be gorging themselves getting ready for the spawn between now and then.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree with ya, but floats cost money, i dont have, so for now ill stick on bottem unless i can find a fixed float like a jug, or something, im fishing ten foot to 15, no more,

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Go to the member library section .Theres a lot of good articles there explaining how to rig up slip floats.A lot of them have pictures,which makes it easier than trying to explain.:wink:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree Ken. I'll be using the float a lot in the next 6-8 weeks. I made up over 16 fat-kat bobbers last week and am fixin to shift into high gear!:cool2:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That's what I've got planned as well

11. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
  12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State: