Trophy Chasers Please Read This, Or AnyBody For That Matter

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Memphis, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive been wanting to post this for awhile now, just now getting the chance and since its about time for catfishing guess it fits to
    believe me when i say no one here loves to catch a 40-50lb flathead more then me, and i like seeing others do the same, but heres my pet peeve, and I'm not sure all anglers know there doing any harm, and I'm sure some don't care BUT....
    its great to want to share your catch and get pictures and all that, but i see to many times where people keep every single big fish they catch in one night on a stringer for god knows how long, then when there done throw them in the back of the truck to drag them to the local bait shop,or the show mom, then there uncle, then the neighbor, etc..... THEN after theve been out of the water for who knows how long they take them back and TRY and let them go, honestly even if the fish swims away most think great hes OK and in reality about 90% of fish treated like that swim to the bottom and die of shock, theres been studies to prove that, even ask places like bass pro shop or cabelas, when a really big fish is caught and they would like to have it for there aquariums, alot of them die, and these fish were kept alive by the angler and transported under the safest way possible and still die, so how do you think there going to fair after a night on a stringer, and in bubbas bed out of water for an hour
    look everyone wants to be proud of what they catch, but i believe theres a line between being proud and trying to be a show off, look how good i am, gotta have my picture in the paper, have to be know as the local "Catfish King" this ticks me off
    they make things called digital cameras now, if you cant afford one buy a disposable one, catch your fish, give high fives, snap some pics and let em go, most of the time you can have the fish caught,pics took, and back in the water in less then 5 minutes and that fish Will live to fight another day
    i know standing there holding 4 or 5 huge Flatheads makes for a impressive picture but just take a minute to think what your doing just like the expression "money doesn't grow on trees" neither do large cats, the lake i fish alot is salt fork it was stocked in the 60s and just in the last 7 or 8 years are really nice Flatheads starting to be common catch from there, and i see ALOT of what i just wrote going on in this lake and its frustrating, because if people don't wake up theres not going to be the chance to catch these magnificent fish in the near future
    so just think about it before,plain ahead,so when you do catch that fish of a life time it can be put back healthy, and ready to be somebody Else's personal best catch-

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm with ya all the way. We have those that say the lack of big fish will never occur. I can do what I want cause I caught it legally. These are more than likely the same folks that think nothin is wrong with the environment or they had nothin to do with it.

Wait till ya see the nest of hornets ya woke up with this thread. LOL!

3. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it dosen,t impress me to see a couple grown men holding a stringer of baby fish. Some are so small that when your done cleaning you have a fish finger.
    Why not give them a chance to grow so there is still a sport?

4. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    here come the HORNETS!!!!

I agree with the thread. I fish in ND on the Red River of the North. I have a valuable resourse in my backyard lierally. On the Red River and Bois De Sioux, we have a limit of 5 fish per day and only 1 can be over 24". I rarely keep any of the fish I catch but when I do, it is 2-7 pounders. I catch alot in the 10-15 and some 16-25.
    We have people from all over (Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio ect) come here to fish. Alot keep their limits and put them in refrigerated trailers for travel. They come in groups and harvest a great number of cats. They do Keep many over 24" as they can but I would like to see them toss back these large cats and keep so of the smaller ones instead of taking the LARGE just because they can.

we suffered a great loss of large cats last year due to the lack of oxygen due to heat and lower than normal river levels. I counted over 100 dead big fish on 1 trip up the river in a 15 mile strech. We have some very large fish still but they aren't as frequent due to kill off.

I have caught many large and even a couple that could be records for here (42" but no way to keep alive to bring to get certified so I put it back to hopefully get this year and will put in my new truck aquarium and then it will be released as good as new. my weigh site is about .25 mile from landing and river which is nice but not open at 2am..lol) but I always put these back after pic when i do remember my camera..

thanks for gettin me going.. lol

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    There are two issues at work here; what's legal and what's moral.
    The two don't always go hand in hand with each other and neither is exempt from stupidity. There are those who say that if a fish is caught legally then it becomes the property of the catcher to do with whatever he or she wishes. If they want to parade it around the neighborhood in the back of their truck and then take it back and release it then that is their right and by the letter of the law I would have to agree, BUT
    HAVING THE RIGHT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT.
    There are those who will never have any respect for fish, anyone or anything.
    I know it's dangerous to paint with a broad brush but picture this:
    You are fishing, a guy comes along, has the whole bank to fish but decides that right next to you is best. He sets up his rod and other gear making a noise the whole time. Catches a few, dragging each one up the shore and over the rocks. Eventually leaves and throws his stringer of fish into the back of the truck. If he happens to catch a big one it goes the same way.
    After he leaves there is his lunch wrapper, his pop or beer cans, his half empty chicken liver tubs and a bunch of line he pulled off when he got tangled one time. You think to yourself as he leaves " Next stop will be his buddies house to show off the fish"
    Apart from the littering the guy didn't break any laws but he didn't respect the fact that you were already there fishing nor did he respect the fish.
    Fishing and hunting is a privilege but there are those who will always regard it as a right and will also claim that it is their right to behave in any manner they wish when doing it.
    This has turned into a bit of a rant so I'll stop but suffice to say:
    You can't fix stupid...W

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree whole heartedly. I think there should be a size limit on what you can and cannot keep on catfish in every state. Around here my pet pieve is the thieves that catch those large fish in nets to sell to pay lakes and such which is illegal unless you have a commercial license but you never here about anyone getting caught at it.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Ain't that the truth..It makes you wonder some...I can think of several pay ponds in OH & KY that do it all the time.You probably know of them
    places,they are pretty close.

8. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    its a shame to see large fish being harvested in large numbers by so many people. i do believe i can count on one hand and have fingers left over with the number of large flatheads over 20 lbs i have kept, and id say 2 or 3 of those were simply because they were gut hooked and bleeding from the gills.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stephen I agree 100% with your post. Fisherman better awake if they want a fishing future. :big_smile:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as you all know i support cpr fully. i keep a few small ones for the plate, but never knife any over 10 pounds. it would make me sick to know a big fish didn't survive. This puts me in a tough place though, i do all i can to maintain my fish when tourney fishing and hopefully all of the fish i have caught and released big and small have survived hours after being released. it would make me sick to think they sunk and didn't make it, do to shock. this brings a different angle to cpr for me. i don't know what else the tourney fishermen could do to help this cause better. i suppose having all weigh-ins on the local river rather than at a bait shop may help, in speeding up the release rate. Anytime that you string or cage a fish it is gonna stress them, especially the older ones. I do feel confident that the ones i transport have been taken care of in the best way i know how to. i do agee with doing anything we can to protect and preserve this sport. I don't know if that means quit tourney fishing. i don't think that would change much. there are always gonna be competitive fishing due to the nature of this sport. but definitely educating those that don't understand how to take care of there catch would probably help to some degree. thanks for this useful post....jason:smile2:

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome back Stephan. Good to see you up and around. Ready to get after em again? Think they'll be back where they were before they drained the lake 2 years ago? Take care and catch lots. I release em all!

12. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well almost ready going for my bone marrow transplant next tuesday ill be in the hospital for 4 to 6 weeks then a few more weeks at home recovering, but ill be after em before the year is over you can bet on that :wink:
    plus there giving me a laptop with internet in the hospital so ill be able to keep up with you scondrals

13. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I hope everything goes well with the transplant. It's good to see ya posting again.

14. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    hope everything goes well, and you're out stretching lines again soon Stephen!

just wanted to add, i agree 100% with this post!
    if i want dinner, i'll go catch some pan sized saugeyes, or get some farm raised cats from the grocery if i'm in a cajun kinda mood.
    the big cats are far too old and valuable a resource to be wasted for any reason!
    i release all cats i catch. i also use circle hooks and heavy line to insure the hooks can be removed properly.

Eric B

15. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i agree with this thread 100%.Flatheads(once you figure them out)can be extremely predictable and because of that they are vulnerable to overfishing.These fish are a valuable resource that needs to be protected.Because of the lack of stocking programs in many states it is up to the fishermen themselves to be responsible.

16. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Mothernatures resources will not renew themselves if you exhaust them to the brink of extinction. You kill 2 or 3 trophy sized fish out of a smaller stretch of water it will take at least 20 years if ever to replinish what has been taken. This is why ethics is so important to instill in our youth. The lack of respect for elders and authority figures is just too common nowadays aside from having been taught any respect for the water and the land. Like was said earlier you cant fix stupid but you dont have to teach it \!

Dru

17. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    memphis.. I totaly agree with you . i see that a lot on clendening and piedmont also tote it around all night take it to marina and toss (seriously) toss it or thow it back and hope it makes it. I confronted a man last yr and tryed to explane what you wrote in my own words to him what he was doing and how wrong it was .. man i was in a fist fight in less that 2min. guess the truth hurt him or somethin? But i do agree with what ya wrote good info for every catman to know thax.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are just to far and few. keep the, what i call management fish!, let the dudes go. i don't care what your arguement is! you catch more small ones in a summers time, then the brutes! Stop Being LAZY!!! Yes a Larger one gets you more, but that is pure lazyness! SO, Join Weight-Watchers, let the big-ens go and walk five miles a day...i bet you feel better about yourself!:lol:

19. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    Back when I fished bass tourny's I did everything that I could to make sure that the fish that were going to the scale were healthy. I think I spent as much money on livewell gadgets as I did on my tackle. I have never taken anything over 6lbs for the table and believe that Ohio should start with regulations like Tenn, and then (here's a thought) ENFORCING them. I am in the Air Force and and lucky enough to mix pleasure with work and fish alot of great waters. (Iraq could use some cats, cuz man fishing sucks overthere) I see alot of GOOD Ol boys that still believe in running those trot line and taking home as many as they can get. (I get really pissed about this) Now I have talked with some of these guys and they are complaining about the lack of big cat's (go figure). You can tell them until your blue in the face about how long it takes these critters to get this big and the rate that everyone is taking them out my grandkids wont get to experience this great fighter. Ok I'll jump off my soap box now....
    good luck guys..

20. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    There are also alot of good re-vitalizers that a person could add to the water when transporting fish to and from where ever that may be. I personally never leave a fish in a cooler or livewell with out adding something to protect them., I put in my bait, my nights tourney catch or whatever it is Im transporting....It does make a difference. I also try and get everybody fish that will give them to me after a tourney to release them..I have taken a coule hundred pounds of fish many a times, just to make sure they are put back.I drive right past the river on the way home so whats another 15mins. I wish everyone would do that....