Trophy channel catfish hunting

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by countrycat15, Jul 17, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,i know i talk alot about eater size channels and trophy flatheads,but i would one day like to go after the trohpy size channel cat's.so i would like to know any good reels,rods,line,hooks,and bait to use to go after them.any info have will help out alot thanks.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well as far as a rod and reel goes ifit can handle a trophy flathead then it can handle a trophy channel. Channels that big would probably go for live bait that has been marked up a little bit.

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have caught my biggest channels on stepped on bait with a 17.5 pounder earlier this year.

4. el_pescador

el_pescador New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does it matter what brand of shoe you step on it with?:tounge_out:

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My 2 biggest channels have come on 30lb big game line using live bluegills while flathead fishing. One was 16lbs and the other was 14lbs. I've caught a lot of channels in the 8-12lb range using cut creek chub as well.

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    My biggest channel came on a peice of cut american shad that I was chunkin for stripers if you get a spring run of american shad by you get some and stock up channels up here go nuts for these things in the spring

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Rod/Reel setup all depends on your budget, etc. I just cant bring myself to spend alot on a fishing R/R setup, so I shop at Walmart. Where are you going to be fishing the lakes or a river? I know there are trophy size cats in the lakes, but imo there are more in the river systems. For my river system rods I go with a thicker, taller pole, between 6"6-8", something that isnt going to snap that easy if I get a big one on the line. As for reels I really like the $35 tidewater baitcast reel, its a great reel for the money. For line I use the Spiderwire Stealth 50lb test, $10/150 yards or about 450 feet of line(but its only as thick as 12lb) so I can put it on my tidewater that only holds up to 30lb test thickness. Hooks very prices/brands, etc but I normally pic up the package that says Catfish on it in yellow, size 4/0, its a good size hook and has alot of strength to it. As far as baits, if you want the big guys you need to use only cut bait/fillets/whole shad. The fish I use for baits are live blue gill, live shad/cut shad, cut skipjack. I hope with all this information in this thread you will find what you are looking for and catch a nice trophy cat, good luck!

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for all the info man.i got some extra money from doing odd jobs so im gonna get an abu garcia 6000 and penn 9. and i will be fishing a river system where there has been big flats cought,so im hopeing there will be big channels. thanks for every bodys info i should be on to some channels in no time.

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Your welcome! Good luck on hunting the big ones!

10. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
  11. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Targeting trophy channel cat i like to use cut shad. keeping the bait off bottom a foot or more also helps.

I use 15lb triline big game line with number 5 eagleclaw bait holder hook.

Just a depends on what the area is like that im fishing. from one area to another area things may not work the same. what works one day may not work the next. keep a good selection of bait mostly natural baits.

Keep notes of what works and what does not work for you. keeping notes that you can refer back to later offten helps alot.

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep navigator it is and if your like me your trying to grab that record. It may take some doing but it can be done.

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I didn't even know. I haven't done a lot of catfishing lately and in the past mostly just fished with bream and cut bait in deep holes and ran some bush hooks.

I've learned a lot from this site that I can hopefully use.

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    so......u guys think a abugarcia 6000:cool2: is up to the job for trohpy channels and flatheads up to 40 lbs.btw how far will an abu 6000 cast with 25 pound test line,2 ounces of weight plus whole 3 inch bluegill.

15. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    btw great posts guys.

16. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    kenny when my dad gets back we will go hunting the trophy channels with our 6000 and 5000s:confident:

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The 6000 and 5000 will handle almost any size channel, its more a matter of where you catch them, your rod, and line that you use. If there are a lot of snags, you may need a heavier rod and line. Both of those reels have caught a lot of big saltwater fish, even in the 100 lb class, but there aren'' a lot of tree stumps in ocean or bay water.

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep its up to the challenge as for casting distance you won't loose much but be careful not to cast over the kitties. If you fish with more than one pole I would keep one closer to the bank especally from about an hour before dusk on. Good luck on your quest

19. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    for the rod,reel,and line just use what will pull in a trophy flathead or blue,but for the bait the big ones will go for some type of other fish like a shad or bluegill

20. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I catch 15-25 lbs regularly and occasionally 30+

King Kat rod (7-8')
    King Kat Reel (larger spinning loaded with berkley trinle XL)

3oz sno roll sinker on bottom with slip rig..

never had any problems with these rods and reel..

good luck