Trophy Catfish Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by huntduck, Oct 16, 2006.

1. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tennessee and Mississippi have a 34" size limit.Limiting a sport fisherman to only 1 fish per day of this size or larger.Commercial fishermen can not keep any fish over 34".If you kept up with the King Kat Classic this past weekend,and saw that two fishermen caught 12 fish totaling over 504 pounds,you can see why such a law could be useful for the growth of our sport.

So,I ask if you believe in this to write your local and state leaders to help keep what we have here as good tomorrow as it is today.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_80933.asp

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I agree 100% with you buddy

3. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Since I only keep what I plan on eating within a week, I can't imagine needing to keep any more than just one cat of that size to begin with.

I'm all for only allowing to keep one of that size or larger a day ... heck even 1 that size or bigger a week would be fine.

Just my $0.02

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I think that is tennessee and arkansas. So far mississippi residents have lacked the determination to get it passed. Arkansas passed it this year. Even with laws in place if they don't enforce it what good will it do. Commercial fisherman has offered some of the guys on the ms river fish over 34 inches that was laying in their boat when they pulled up. The fish should never make it to the bottom of the boat and without people out there enforcing it.....what good is it?

I try to keep an open mind about being on the water and everyone has there place on the water. I do think that commercial fishing should have slot limits and them limits to be strictly enforced. If you look at any fishery with commercial fishing involved, what good does it do to the species? Alot of the time they get fished almost to extinction before people realize whats taking place. I guess what i'm trying to say is most have good intentions, we just have to realize and keep a close eye on our fishery. As sport fisherman its our responsibility......

This is what changed my mind when it comes to commercial fishing. I wonder how many of these fish were ruined after two days. 174 fish two days....
    http://www.agfc.com/anglerscorner/page7.html

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Pretty sad picture. I wonder how many went to waste????

6. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the correction.I was wrong about Miss. That picture just put a sick feeling in my stomach.We as (sport catfishermen)are going to have to speak up or in 10 years or so we can only talk about (THE GOOD OL DAYS).

7. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Danny
    You know I am with you especially about those big ones. That picture makes me feel sick as well because you know they would have needed a lot of coolers and ice to keep them from ruining for sure and they didn't look like they were about to get to cleaning either. As far as the 34" limit we still end up here in TN every year with the commercial guys getting a few of their legislator's(mostly from around the TN River) to intoduce a bill to repeal it but thankfully it has stayed in place thus far. Hopefully with the solid support from the TWRA biologists and commissioners and the growing support from us "pole" fishermen it will finally become permanent.

8. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    do it before ya end up with a place like santee still a few fish but nothing like the glory days... as for the truck load man that hurts I have been guilty of filling a few coolers but none ever went to waste I bet plenty in that truck got wasted...

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky

This is the type of gluttony that will be the ruination of our fisheries if we don't do something fast!!! It is people like this that make my blood boil! I bet they didn't even clean 1/4 of them.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is exactly why we need slot limits on catfish!!! To stop this very kind of thing from happening!!!

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Danny, that just plain sucks. It sucks so bad that I almost wish I hadn't opened it. Vern

12. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Year before last they held the King Kat Classic on Pickwick and I never saw so many dead cats floating down the river than that week. I was just sick about it. Catfish (or any fish for that matter) held in a livewell all day then released are gonna die, PERIOD. Can't see killing fish for the almighty $$

I've since moved from the area but spent a couple of days of my vacation this month there and wouldn't you know it, it was the week before the damn King Cat Classic and damn foreingners everywhere screwing up the waters again in search of the ever loving $$$. One guy was anchored smack dab in the middle of the mouth of Spring Creek with about a dozen rods out in every direction. I couldn't help but run over his lines at idle speed. I appologized but all he wanted to know was "where are the fish".

Just like bass fishing, cat tournaments are going to ruin our kind of sihing sooner or later.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have to disagree!!! Most of the guys on these tournement trails are very carefull with their catch. Most have some of the best livewell set-ups I have ever seen, Granted some don't but, should. If you are going to fish a tournement make sure you have a good system for keeping the fish alive(and I don't meam a stringer Either). I have seen very elaborate set-ups, Bottled Oxygen Injectors, Massive Airator Systems, Stirators, and many others. These systems keep the fish more lively than when they were caught.
    On the other side of the coin, there are those that just have a simple livewell in their boat and that is fine for a small fish like a bass or crappie but, catfish require a whole new level of care. Oxygen levels can drop rapidly in a livewell with huge catfish cramped up in it. Now, you have those that think a stringer is ok, WRONG. Stringers interrupt the exchange of oxygen to the fishes system, therefore making the fish weak at best. These fish held on a stringer will die if not brought in to the weigh-in area quickly.
    I know that there are some out there that will dissagree with me on this but, I have seen this first hand and seeing is believeing.

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Surely you "JEST" JW. There are too many butt wipes in this world that only care about now and themselves. LOL!

Also there will be no money spent for enforcement.

And please. Any one that chimes in on this thread with that righteous battle.

If the fish were taken legaly they have the rite to do it. Horse Dung! People need to wake to hell up and smell the coffee.

There, I'm done!

15. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    This was an interesting post for two reasons. First being from TN I think the 1/34 rule is good. I catch enough fish that I see no need in taking out the big fish. And also I see alot of commercial fishermen taking all they can get for the $$$. Second: Yesterday at Wheeler Dam AL we were surveyed about our time, fish count and wether we supported a thophy catfish program. It just happens that we were releasing a 18lb blue when they pulled up. We released 4 fish 15lbs and one 25lb+. I asked one boat if they had a scale since I left mine at home and said we were going to weigh it before release. Their response was don't you keep the big ones? Another thing is that I see (like the guys we asked)...since the AL law allows selling of nongame fish, AL could be in trouble years from now. I have seen boats overloaded with fish and a number of them 25lbs+.. What a shame....in search of the$$$

16. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'll throw in my $.02 since everyone else has. First of all I would like to see trophy cat regulations as well in Alabama. Tournaments can and do exist under these kinds of limits. Second, I was in the Cabela's KK on Pickwick and Wilson Lakes a couple weeks ago and can tell you there were two kinds of fishermen there. Ones that cared about their catch and had substantial livewells and those that didn't. It was about half and half. Most of the folks around here were prepared for holding large fish and were equipped with 100gal+ livewells. The others (most were from up north) I don't think new what they were getting into and brought down coolers and rubbermaid tubs which in my opinion is inexcusable. The fish that I saw released from the large tanks were healthy but I can't say as much for the ones held in "containers". Although no dead fish were allowed to be weighed, I would hold Cabela's as much responsible for the dying fish as I would the ill prepared fishermen. Cabela's knowing allowed insufficient livewell space. There should have been a minimum volume of continuous aerated space set by tournament directors (maybe 60gal). Like I said, I don't think these guys knew that it was possible to catch multiple fish over 50lb but that is still a sorry excuse.

17. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i feel cabelas should be held responsible.