Trophy Blue catfish in winter. Bottom fishing or Suspended??

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Fishermancat1, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    During the winter when the blue catfish are getting big and there feeding habits slow down some....Will a big trophy blue catfish take a suspended bait or do they hit mostly baits fished on the bottom?

Would like to see the responses of fisherman's biggest blue catches and if they caught them suspended or fishing the bottom in winter....

2. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I THINK that a bait just slightly up off the bottom is best for winter blues. When I think suspended, I am usually thinking drifting. I think anchored is best when the water is very cold (in the 40's). When I am anchored and fishing I usually have a float one foot above the hook with a 3 or 4 foot leader so the sinker sets on the bottom but the bait is held up slightly above the bottom. I am usually fishing river current so the bait given some movement.

To me, the problem with drifting is not the height of the bait because I want it 1 to 2 feet off the bottom but rather the bait is moving too fast for the slower moving cats in cold water.

Just my thoughts.

tight lines

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
  4. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the good thread link above Mac-b. A lot of experience shared in it.

5. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    I do just as Tom above, and for the exact same reasons.

6. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Thanks Mac-b for the link. Very informative!!

Mac-b likes this.
  7. ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    David
    I fish on the bottom in the Winter, and as long as there is no wind blowing, the colder the better.

The only lake I fish though, averages 95 to 140 feet deep, with the Wintertime blues average depth being 110 to 115 feet deep. They usually won't bite if the bait is more that 2 feet off the bottom, so I just keep it on the bottom...

My preferred bait for these deep water blues is cut shad, and they will hit these faster than any other bait.

Fishermancat1 likes this.