Trolling

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by tbendz, Jan 5, 2010.

1. tbendz

tbendz New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anyone tried trolling against the current with a spoon and beads on the leader and using shad, skipjack or herring? This is on my to-do list when the ice goes out!

2. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My plan is a little different than yours, but I made up 4 new pieces I am going to try this year. My buddy has a nice boat and we like to fish together, but he likes bass fishing. This year I will be trolling the bottom for cats while we bass fish, which I really don't enjoy as much as catting. I put a 12 inch leader with a sinker on the bottom, then put a homemade float on it and tied it to a swivel, then my line goes to the top ring of the swivel and my hook leader goes to the top ring of the swivel also. That will keep my bait up off the bottom and I hope I have it rigged so it won't be getting hung up to much. My line is 25lbs and my hook leader is 20lbs so if it does hang up I shouldn't lose anything except my sinker, not a big deal. I'll try to remember to make a post on how it works out. Good luck with yours also.

3. tbendz

tbendz New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks for your reply! My thinking is using some type of spinner with beads to give the leader some type of flash and noise to draw attention to the bait. I'll be using a six to seven inch river herring or skipjack as bait on a #10 J hook. The only problem I'm going to encounter is stiring up the Asian Carp on the Illinois River. I don't have a big problem with them if I stay in the middle of the river where the water is the deepest. That is where I normally drift fish when going for the big blues.
    I did have a few bites the other day on shad gut but didn't catch anything. There was lots of ice but it sure was nice getting out. Good fishing Tom

4. sharky1

sharky1 New Member

State:
    nc
    We do a type of trolling here in our lakes that works very well for us, first try an find areas that have little or no debrie, we consentrate on drops, ledges, creek beds etc. we use a large jig head, yellow is best color here, depending on water conditions an depth, we use up to six ounce heads, we use a minnow called a shinner, the larger the better, hook the minnow from bottom lip to top lip, this lets him swim stright, an no gill foul ups, using med heavy tackle, we slow troll with electric motors across the points etc. hold the rod in your hands, no rod holders, raise the rod up about 8 to 12 inches, bouncing the jig as you go down the ledges, drop out line to make sure youre on the bottom, no need to let him hold it here, when you feel strike set the hook. we catch alot of monster flats an blues this way, an sometimes big bass, an strippers, hope this works for you, this takes a little practice, alot of jigs, an a ton of trial an error, but once you get the hang of it, it will quickly become a favorite way to fish