Trolling vs Casting reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by hagonzal, Oct 13, 2007.

1. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi all,

I have a question about the castability of trolling reels. Yesterday I was at the tackle store and saw the new Abu Garcia Big Game reels, 7000iHSN, 9000i, and 10000i.

i121512sn01[1].jpg

I almost bought the 9000i, to use it for flathead and blue cats. But then the sales guy told me that I would not be able to cast these reels very well, that the reels were designed for trolling not for casting. The problem is that I really need to be able to cast, as I fish a few reservoirs where long distance casting from shore is a must.

Could someone please tell me if it is indeed the case that these reels will not cast well, and the reason for that.

Thanks

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Typically "trolling" reels are built with the mindset of line capacity, frame strength, some time's effective gearing..and very little if any concern around freespool priority.

Casting reels are often designed around the concept of freespool priority, with everything else taking back stage.. They then toss in some items of interest to help the caster tame down that free spool like centrifugal breaking and magnetic breaking.

Both trolling reels and "casting" reels are conventional reels.... and all conventional reels are not created equal. Whether or not it's called a "casting reel" or "trolling" reel is less important than the actual mechanics of the in reel it's self.

There are things to consider when looking at a "trolling reel" for bankside casting the main one being the spool... try to get a feel for how heavy the spool is by playing with it.. Heavy solid spools (like most trolling reel's have, as does my beloved Avet SX) have more kinetic energy than lighter spools. This means it will take more force to get the spool spinning, it will want to stay in motion, and it will take more "opposing force" to slow or stop the spool.. all this translates into difficult casting and a lot of backlashes.

Does that mean they won't cast as well? Heck NO.. it just means it's harder for the user. I can very nearly empty the spool on my SX with out backlash.. and it has one of the heaviest spools for any small reel I've ever seen. It took a lot patience and practice and a lot of Line:wink: But it will cast with the best of them now that I can do my part.

I will say also that the wider spools of reels like the 6500's 7000's (and 9000's) tend to lay line wider and thus the line comes off easier and there for cast a little easier and further. Narrow Deep spools like the 7000HSN (High Speed Narrow), and Avet MXJ allow for the line to kind of "pile" up and will have more tendancy to dig into it's self and this will cause for a loss in distance and if the thread get's a good pinch it will actually start to backwind and could cause a break off... so go for the more shallow, but wider spools when considering a trolling reel.

Lastly.. back to the freespooling... take the reel you want and grab another one on display that your familiar with (maybe a basic 6500 for example) and put both reels in freespool and give the spool a few spins with your fingers.. play with the spool, look, listen and feel for differences.. you will be able to tell if the "trolling" reel has enough freespool capability to cast far... just remember that bigger spool is going to be difficult to control... the 9000i (if memory serves me right) has no centrifugal breaking... so maybe an after market magging kit would be worth considering.

I say if you want the 9000i get it...

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Go ahead and buy one Hector, it will cast like a dream presuming you are adept in the art of casting. If not you will soon learn. Many many of our brothers cast big reels including my self. :wink:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I have buddies that run 9000's and they cast fine.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    any of the abus cast fine and own almost 10 garcias. now, to how you fish... i fish rivers and lakes, and have cetain outfits for both. you don't need to have many outfits, but i prefer it that way. i would suggest going to surf rods with shimano baitrunners if you are looking for long distance castabiltiy.. longer rods allow for more distance, and the baitrunners are awesome... spool with big game mono...goodluck, rollo

6. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks a lot Crucial, your post is very informative. I completely agree with you, the label of "trolling" or "casting" may be less significant than the actual construction and feel of the reel. I have had quite a few abu's in the past, currently I am using a 6500c3, and wanted to go a bit bigger. I will buy the reel, go to a nearby lake and just try it... I will bring extra line and a lot of patience to deal with bird nests... :wink:

7. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Among the bigger reels do you have a favorite in terms of casting distance?

Thanks again

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i own 5000 series, 6000 garicas, 6500 ,7000, and 10000's. if i was to buy just an all around good reel you are looking for esp. to use on the lakes,i would suggest the 7000 series. it casts great, not too bulky matching up to most rods well for balance, and holds plenty of line whether fishing mono or braid. the baitclickers are really nice as well...

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you meant baitrunners, i have the 4500 series it is nice. they make a larger one as well. but, matched with a 10-12ft. surf rod either one is fine...rollo

10. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    You'd have to qualify your definition of "bigger"... I never use anything larger than 7500's/Avet SX/525 mag size reels from the bank/shore line. You have to find what work's for you.

The easiest way to get some extra distance can be switching over to a spinning outfit.

Some of the most respected "distance" reels out of the box(no modifications) are:
    The Abu's Rockets
    The Abu's Mag, Mag Elite, Sports Mag
    And the cream of the crop (distance wise) The Blue Yonder

The Penn 525 Mag is a very respected reel for durability and distance.

Daiwa Sealine, Grand Wave-Z and Saltist are well respected by some.

But all in all you just have to ask how much distance do you really need?

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    oh dont forget the pflueger contenders you said were like the penn mags im sorry but i feel like pushing the pfluegers their the best ive had i cant afford avet or that would prob be it

12. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    LOL... no problem pushing the contenders... However I did not say they were like the 525 Mag... I said they were a copy of the GS series, of which the 525Mag is only one, and a very special one at that.. :wink:

So far there is nothing out there that's truly like the 525Mag... but there IS one (and only one) 515 mag prototype that's been floating around the east coast (it's probably made it's way back it's owner in the UK by now)... hopefully we'll see an actual production 515mag some day.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Heck fahr! I have 1 of those 7000 HSN and 2 9000's and they cast just fine! I didn't know they were "trolling" reels..... Maybe I need to learn to troll....

I think the sales rep was wrong.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The larger Abus sound like good reels, but after being disappointed with my 6500, I decided to go back to Penn; I got a 320GTi.

15. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the recommendations, I looked at a few of these reels, and many of them are non level wind, I guess that taking that mechanism out increases casting distance. But if you do not have the level wind system to lay the line evenly in the spool, how to do you do it when fighting a fish? I guess if you are not fighting a fish you could do it with your finger.