Trolling vs. Casting for Pike

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by Growler, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler New Member

State:
    Unadilla Nebras
    I love casting for Pike, but my best success has been trolling. I usually troll at 2 to 2.5 mph at the depth of the thermocline with a 6" Believer or some wobbly Muskie Inhaler, but lately I have been using a Little Joe tipped with a 4"-5" pike sucker at about 1mph, 2 feet deep in 6 feet of water. I catch more fish, but it drops the size down, never catching anything over 10 lbs. Just wondering how everybody else fishes for pike.

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    This time of year to gewt the bigguns, Troll fast- 5-6mph and use a big big lure- musky killer on a leadcore leader or a big creek chub or a 9+inch rapala or super shad rap. Broad daylight in 8-15FOW near a dropoff or a wqeed bed. This is when youre ghonna have the best luck with MONSTERS. From now till its too cold theyre on a feed binge. Go get the bigguns this way- Trust me on this I have caught many many more pike than cats.

It also helps if your running your own boat to paint your prop red and white and to fish 10 feet or less off the prop with a secondary rod.

Sal

3. Growler

Growler New Member

State:
    Unadilla Nebras
    I have never heard of painting the prop, unfortunatly where I Pike fish (Nebraska and Minnesota) you can only use 1 rod per person. I could always have one of the kids fish short.
    I also have caught 10 fold as many Pikes than cats. Just got back from a week up in the Leech Lake area of Minnesota. My boat alone (wife 2 kids and I) landed 45-50 pike a day all week.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Painting the prop is an old Lake St Clair musky trick. It works for big pike too.

Occasionally though you do hear a thump and look back to see a pike that wanted to eat your outboard and lost the fight. That does happen.

Sal

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Up in Alaska we used to very rarely troll. Always used wither herring and a bobber hook the herring so it looks like it is swimming up. or just through big lures. A lot of fun up there, but I haven't bee in a few years.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey brothers- There are a few charter captians that I know who target big pike and musky on Lake St Clair.... One called me and said that the big big ones are coming up finally and that theyre nailing limits on St Clair with big lures at high speeds just as I posted before.

This is the time. GO get a line out!!!!

Sal

7. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I love to troll....or maybe i'm just too lazy to cast?? :confused:

8. Growler

Growler New Member

State:
    Unadilla Nebras
    I like both casting and trolling. Trolling just covers allot of ground. While I troll I watch my electronics and watch for a good point, drop off etc. Mark it on my GPS or throw out a marker to come back and troll around and/or cast around. Ialso mark were I hook into one and come back and cast it, troll it etc.

9. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I am with growler, I like to troll and cast. when I get a chance to go when I am up north I like to start out trolling at around the 15' line. I don't know that I go out with any particular speed that I want to go but it's usually from 2-5 mph. I try to hit all the obvious points and around islands. If trolling doesn't work I'll get closer to the bank and cast straight up into trees and weeds and anything that might resemble cover and that usually does the trick. Last year even got about a 36-37" musky up in the boudary waters in Minnesota. I have to tell you my little abu garcia 4600 cl3 reel rocked the party on every one.

10. Dabluz

Dabluz New Member

I hate trolling. Where I live in Quebec, the pike stay in shallow water all summer. I do most of my fishing from a canoe. I usually have 3 baitcasters set up with different lures ex.: suspending shallow running crank bait, large soft plastic lure rigged weedless and a large buzz bait. Each lure works great depending where I cast. If the area I fish allows frozen smelt for bait, I may also rig up a spinning rod with just a smelt and 2 small treble hooks in tandem on the 5 to 10 inch smelt. To top it off, I sometimes use a fly rod and a large streamer. All the methods work great. Pike aren't fussy up here where I live.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Since I do not have a boat and most of the waters do not allow them, I cast! The few people that do boat fish that I have observed in this area do Both. There is Boat fishing in one of the lakes that I am a member and use of a small boat is permitted with an electric motor.The percentage of privite waters have No Boats Allowed rules. There are some lakes available, but I am not affiliated with them. As the type of bait comes into play, the Drift fishing would lend itself more toward the Live Bait. While on the otherhand, the casting and retreiveing of the bait over and over would be lend itself more toward artificial baits. This is not a cut and dry statement by anymeans and many may disagree. This is just my take on the question.

HOPPY4