Trolling reels for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FlatGetter, Mar 13, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When you look through saltwater catalogs you see alot of nice well built reels. But they are trolling reels. Are trolling reels able to withstand Flatheads? I heard the Tekota is a good reel and thats a trolling reel. What do you think?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Most trolling reels will handle anything you want. They are built for fish that will rip line off a reel as easy as pie. I would go with a good name brand as I find you get what you pay for with those type reels. i like to try to destroy reels fishing for shark and tarpoon and some times I do.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Trolling reels are good flathead reels, the only problem I have with them is they always cast very good, as they are ment for trolling.

4. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that was one of the things I was wondering how they cast scence they arnt made for casting baits.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Welp, I have no trouble casting my Tekota 600. It will cast a 6oz sinker better then a abu 6500. If i wanted a reel I could cast a country mile I would of gotten a casting reel with NO level line. But I'm a simple catman that fishes from a boat. The tekota is as smooth as silk though. So far it's worth every penny.