Trolling Motors

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Sigmar, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone know the rule of thumb for what size tm to match up to a boat? My buddies tm I believe is way to undersized. Also seems when you buy a new boat with the tm packaged in they are too underpowered.

2. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I think, I'm not sure so take what I say hear with a grain of salt, that it all has to do with what exactly you want to do and the size of the boat that you'll be doing it in. If it is just a regular fishing boat then it will have a tm that woun't make to much of a splash, so to speak, but if it were a boat that was made for lets say the coast then it might have a tm that is a little more on the heavy duty side. At least that is what I think but I could be wrong:confused2:!

3. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    what is the thrust, what kind of boat?

4. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    His boat is a 19' (I think) Cajun fish n ski. The tm is 45 lb 24volt. When the wind is say 15 mph it just barely holds it own on high. I was thinking he needed at least a 70 lb. minimum.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I always say bigger is better, get what you can afford that is the biggest one, you can always leave it on low speed

6. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
  7. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bigger the better. Remember you may have to deal with wind or current so theres no formula. Just make sure it's mounted connectly if you get a hoss of a moter. I had a 14 ft extrawide john with a 55pound Greatwhite. It worked great unless I was in an inlet with fast moving water.

8. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    this is a guide established in 1990 by minn kota as minimum thrust needed. 1000 lb boat - 21 lbs ,1500 lb boat - 28lbs, 2000 lb- 35lbs ,2500 lbs -45 lbs thrust. But this is for calm waters and no wind or waves. How high the sides are on the boat also add more wind resistance = more thrust needed. Another important thing to take into account is the length of the trolling motor shaft. I have a 20 ft center console bay boat. It came with a 50 inch shaft which worked fine in small waves. but i changed it out for a 60 in. shaft which works better when fishing in larger waves. i can move it up or down depending on conditions. my boat uses a 70lb thrust motor. which works fine even in windy conditons. i dont have to run it on full thrust very often. My opionion has always been to get the most you can afford. You dont have to use full thrust very often, but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Hoping you have Tight lines, bent rods and screaming drags.

9. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i got a 14 ft alum flatbottom jon boat i had a 40 or 45lb minkota untill i shattered the shaft, got along just fine

now back to a 28minkota dinosaur and it works alright windy conditions suck with it but oh well