Trolling motors

Discussion in 'Boating' started by smhmc6, Jun 18, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody know where I can find out what kind of amp draw a minn kota endura 50 trolling motor has? Or maybe if they know a ball park. I'd kind of like to know how much I'm going to have to spend on a battery. I assume you can just do some calclulations using amp draw and the battery rated amp hours to figure out roughly how long you can run on your battery. Any help/ experience will be useful... thanks.

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh, I forgot to say that I've already tried their website and they don't really have any specs that I could find.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Probably about 30 amps under full load. Use a 50 amps breaker or fuse, though, and 6 gauge wire; you should be in good shape.
    Divide the amp/hour rating of the trolling battery by 30 and it should run that many hours under full load (which you would probably never run at max speed for the entire time). You should be able to fish 8 hours easily with a good battery, and running at slower speeds.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, that confirms what I thought. I actually did a little more searching yesterday and found that the 50 pound thurst draws a max. of 50 amps... with a 125 amp-hr battery that gives me 2.5 hours of full blast. But like you said, I will never run it that long straight. I'm planning on using it as a primary motor for my 14' jon... pretty sure the farthest I'll go is maybe, maybe 2 miles there and 2 miles back on calm water. But I doubt I'll even go that far. The only thing I'm worried about is being able to use it on a camping trip where I probably will have to use it 3 days in a row without electricity to use my charger. Anyway, thanks for the help.