Trolling motor??

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by center12, Jun 28, 2008.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Got a little issue with my trolling motor and figured I'd ask you folks about a solution.

I own a variable speed trolling motor(motorguide) that has a switch that allows you to operate the motor in "momentary" or in "high by-pass". Momentary goes when you step on the button, at what ever speed you have it set at..........High by-pass kick the motor up to full speed, no speed control, wide open.

Here what I'd like to have, momentary and a constant on w/speed control........I hate having to keep my foot on the button for hours on end while slow trolling.

Any of you electrical type minds have a wiring idea?? It's on got a 2 way switch on it now, I'm wondering about a 3 way on with a jumper back to the rheostat for speed control?? I'm open for idea's. Charlie

2. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Charlie,

Bass Pro has just what you need for $15. It's called a "BigFoot" trolling motor footswitch. If I were you, I'd just replace your current "momentary footswitch with this one. It has a lever that folds over for constant-on.

The other cheaper, more REDNECK solution would be just take a heavy brick or concrete block and set it on top of your "momentary" switch.
    Trolling Motor Foot Switch by Big Foot®
    [​IMG]
    Designed to fit all hand-operated 12V or 12/24V trolling motors, this trolling motor foot switch is equipped with two switches in one: momentary and on/off, has a foot or hand-activated on/off lever and comes with 32’’ heavy-duty marine wiring. Recommended and used by Tommy Martin, professional bass angler and fishing guide. Installation and wiring required.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks Charlie, I'll look into that. As long as it allows me to control the speed in constant on I'd be cool. Thanks. Charlie

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    another redneck way would be to wire in a household dimmer switch in place of the momentary switch. You just click to turn it on and dial up the speed ya want :eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, "I" think your "best" solution for your problem would be to buy my minnkota powerdrive, with auto pilot, the foot pedal with 18' cord has "mom" and constant at any speed you set it at:smile2:

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Charlie--Years ago I had the momentary switch go bad, and I couldn't find a replacement in town. I took a NAPA toggle switch & wired it in with the 2 wires from the momentary switch. I drilled a hole in the pedal and mounted it so I could kick it (the toggle) forward for on & back for off. It worked good enough that I never bothered to order the right switch. This would probably void your warranty, but it never blew up on me.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks A LOT MR. YEPPA, obviously you didn't realize I'm trying to get rid of, uh, sell an extra trolling motor I have!!!!!!!:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2:(Charlie, it really is a good motor:smile2:)

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    My bad Jim--next time kick me under the table!!

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, you KNOW I wouldn't kick you, unless you were down that is:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Powerdrive:tounge_out: Except mine gets in the way trying to set lines. Need a good quick detach to take it off when I need to.:confused2:

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My Minkota All Terrain lets you use the variable speed in momentary and constant on. Strange why they would make one that would only go max speed in constant on.

12. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Some good ideas, indeed. Except for the household dimmer, of course, which would NOT work (I assume it was in jest!).

If you add a toggle switch as Yeppa suggests, be sure to use a waterproof switch. Otherwise, moisture will cause it to fail over time and you'll end up replacing it.

Also, being just a switch, you could add a second switch like the Bigfoot in parallel with the existing switch and mount it somewhere else, perhaps on the other side of the deck if you wanted.

Another REDNECK solution would be to just take the WIFE along with you, and have her sit on the switch for constant ON ??

That'd probably fly about like my suggestion back when I first got married that mowing the lawn was "women's work"........

13. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Aint that what wives are for,...motor switches, anchor winches , beer wenches,...that kinda stuff? :smile2:

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    You two will get me in trouble with those kind of suggestions!!

A. I'm not buying a new trolling motor, sorry Jim.
    B. No constant on is stupid.........it came with the boat
    C. I found a site that has a 3 way motorguide switch, figure I'll ask if they have schematics for a unit that has a constant on and make jumpers if needed.
    D. Thanks for the idea's all, made me get off my duff and do some research, carry on:wink: