Trolling Motor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by dhogue, Apr 12, 2007.

1. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hello to all BOC members, question, I'm in the market to buy a new trolling motor for my 20' SeaArk. Which trolling motor will do best Motor Guide or Minn Kota.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Devlyn, I have had them both, and I think they are pretty much equal. I have a minnkota now, and I like it just as much as the motor guide I had on my last boat. Just be sure you get one with enough thrust to do the trick. Being that you have a 20' SeaArk, I would probably get a 24 volt motor with at least 80 lbs of thrust. That should do the trick. No matter what though, you will probably spend around $800 for either brand. Let us know what you get.:smile2:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Devlyn, I have been using trolling motors for 30 some years. I have had Motor Guide and Minn Kota. For striper fishing and catfishing purposes, it is hard to beat a Minn Kota Auto-Pilot. I would suggest something around a 67-75 pound thrust. I have both (67-75) and they have no problem pulling my 22' Sundance. With the Auto-Pilot you can take care of business in the back of the boat while the Auto-Pilot takes care of what it is suppose to do in the front.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. Be sure you get enough pound thrust to pull that big boat easy.Keep in mind when you go to 24 volt you will be adding extra batterys.:lol: :big_smile:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    MAc is so right.
    I have the auto pilot on my 2072 War-Eagle. And love it. I had to get the 54" shaft to keep it in the water in waves. So keep that in mind. Had a 42" on it and was just not long enough when fishing in the wind.
    Pete

6. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Agree with Mac, MinnKota is the only way to go. Have used them for 25 years, they have been producing this style trolling motor longer than anyone and they work. Would recommend getting the wireless along with the unit, sure makes it nice to be able to control the unit from anywhere in the boat.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey D, I have a 20 foot SeaArk like yourself and mine came with a 12v Minn Kota that has 50 fpt...it pulls the boat around just fine...just depends on your budget, if I could i would definitly upgrade to a better motor, but the one I have gets the job done just fine...why fix what isn't broke? I did however add an on board charger and a second battery last year as I do alot of night fishing and use a large spot light when navigating the river, I just wanted to make sure I had plenty of juice out there at night!

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

How well does your stand up to current?
    Mine is the 65 lb 24 volt and I can move the boat up stream even at the dam at the boils. And at times I wish mine was the 80 lbs .
    Pete

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Go ahead and get the 80lb. Since you fish rivers with a nice strong current the extra thrust is going to help out. Also you may think about getting the old style two wire push pull instead of the newer digital ones. They respond a lot faster with no delays.

10. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Last year I bought a Minn Kota with auto pilot and co-pilot. Don't know how I ever got along without either one. I love them. I am usually on the water by myself and they sure make it easy when maneuvering over a bait hole and casting the net.

11. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I have used them both myself.Right now I have a Minnkota on my jon boat and my one man boat.Quiet power:big_smile:

12. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    There is no such thing as having to much motor when you get in the wind or fast current. I have a 20' Xpress with a 70# motorguide. There have been times I wished I had a stronger motor. I've had both minncota and motorguide and would buy either depending on the features and price. Good luck and be sure to post back with a test report on whatever you get.