Trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by heavyduty413, Jan 13, 2007.

1. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    What's the best trolling motor for a 18 ft. pontoon? (thrust, shaft length, volts)

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Shaft length would be determined by the distance from the deck to the water. As for volts and thrust, need to know what kind of water are you fishing?

3. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    How deep in the water should the motor be? I normally fish in a lake.

4. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The center of the prop should be at least 12 inche's below the water.

5. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you should have it deep enough that the motor doesn't cavitate .. should be deeper in large waves and a 55pd thrust would probably be big enough for an 18 ft boat ... I've got a 55pd thrust on my 2070 and it catches a lot of wind but it'll still move in 30 mph winds but not very fast. if you've got a low profile boat like a bass tracker then a smaller motor would work. for a pontoon you should probably have a 24v 80 lb thrust. if money is not important you might take a look at the minnkota 80 lb thrust autopilot and get the co-pilot add-on ... I've got the 55pd thrust 12v one with copilot and it's great ... I can operate it from anywhere in the boat with the remote control that's about as big as an electronic car entry remote ... that way if I'm fishng for hybrids I can be sitting behind the center console watching my electronics and stay on top of the fish like that and it doens' tire me out by trying to stay up on the front deck using the footcontrol but the cord is long enough that I could operate it from back there also I think the cord is like 20 ft long on the foot control ... another good thing about them is when you point them in a direction they'll automatically stay on that heading ... you don't have to turn them back the opposite direction to correct the boat's heading once you've turned because the motor turns in that direction by itself when autopilot is turned on. when throwing for shad I can be standing down inthe bottom of the boat and runnig the trolling motor also so I can hover over big school of shad that way no matter how bad the wind is.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Just remember this the more volts you have the longer you can stay out. If you plan on using your trolling motor a lot I would go with at least a 24v system. I would think hard about a 36v system though.