Trolling Motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tehrealmccoy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Hi everyone,
    I recently acquired a 12 volt trolling motor from a pawn shop for my 9 foot long inflatable boat. It has 25 pounds of thrust, and I have a car battery for power. Think this set up will be any good for the small river and creeks/lakes that I fish in?

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sure. I've used a 27# motor on my 12' little jon boat before and it works just fine. Just use common sense when out on a lake.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    You might think about a deep cycle battery. It will give you alot more time on the water.
    Bill

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try up stream first... If you can make it up stream then you probally can get back.:smile2:

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    It should work out fine... But just in case follow Doyle's advice and take a paddle... LOL

6. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sage advice in the above posts, they beat me to it. Jack.

7. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    What about speed? What should I be expecting?

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    you probably won't pull a skier up, but I wouldn't go very fast in an inflatable any. Rocks,snags,underwater obstructions.
    Whats the hurry? lol
    Really I don't know about the speed but i guess 5 to 8 mph. Ttolling motors are built for strenght not speed.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you don't follow Bill Wades advice more than likely you wont be doing this much,far or fast.A car battery isn't designed for this type of application.Get a deep cycle if you intend to use it much.The car battery won't provide power long because it isn't designed for sustained draw and once discharged a few times will be shot.If your plan is to use the one from your car then put it back in and recharge while driving rest assured you will end up paddling and/or walking.:big_smile: :lol: As for speed you wont have to worry about using hair spray to keep your hair from getting messed up.:roll_eyes: :tounge_out: :cool2: :eek:oooh: :smile2: :big_smile:

10. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    How much will a deep cycle battery run me as far as cost? :)

11. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    There is one at walmart for I think 64 bucks. It will be worth it in the long run.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    You'll go at a decent rate out there... probably not more then 4 or 5 miles an hr... but in the boat it'll feel like a little more then that... It'll get you there... but definitely get a marine deep cycle... I use an old car batt only as a spare to get me back if my deep cycle goes... and i only carry that when i know i have the weight to spare ... the paddle is in the boat with me at all times and i've had to use it twice (once because my prop came off when i went into shallow water and it got loosened and the other because i forgot to charge the battery before i went out).... Going upstream is a lifesaver because the water will bring you back down instead of having to paddle against current...

The other thing is have the trolling motor tied to something in the boat, just incase something breaks and the motor falls off... I almost got a free motor because a guy broke off the motor at the mount on his boat but luckily for him (unfortunately for me) the guy had the battery in its compartment and the trolling motor attached well to it

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    wally world 50-65$ with trade in Academy same bat for 44-56$ with out trade in saw them monday:lol:

14. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    bring money or plastic,

15. waynebo

waynebo New Member

State:
    p'cola florida
    yea it art to haul butt,,waynebo