Trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Catfish_Calvin, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I just purchased a 2008 G3 1860. Its prewired for a 12 volt trolling motor. What trolling motor would you guys suggest?What Thrust, shaft length? I fish the Mississippi. But ill probably be using the trolling motor when i fish smaller lakes. Thanks a bunch.

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    frst of a a boat isn't nesasaraly "wired" for only 12 volts, the 2 wires at the back of the boat can be hooked up to 2 batteries for a 24 volt system,
    As far as thrust, try and get as much thrust as you can afford, after all NO ONE has ever said
    "I sure wish I had a smaller trolling motor"
    I'd say a 12 volt 40 - 45lb thrust at the bare minamum for a 18 footer on the mississippi

3. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with you on the choose, except for one thing. Could be the boat configuration, but I've got a Polar Craft 17' deep V and when I bought it, it had a Minn Kota 12V 40# thrust on it. It worked ok, but in wind, it did not have near enough thrust. I stuck with the 12V because of the weight , but went with the 55# thrust motor. It is just right now and works great even in windy conditions. I think you could run it all day and not run it down.

4. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I concur; get the most bang for your buck. I found an awesome deal on a tm at the BPS outlet and saved just over $300! Shop around and I bet you can find just what you need.

5. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    My previous boat was a 14ft polarcraft flatbottom with a 40lb thrust bowmount motor and for fishing in moderate to heavy current it was marginal. It would hold in the current but it was a chore and you couldn't pull against the current. Current boat is a 2070 triton center console with a 70lb thrust 24v and it does anything I want to do and I have yet to run down the batteries while fishing...Extremely pleased with the difference in 24v vs 12v

6. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for the replies guys. Is there a rule of thumb on what shaft length to get? Like a measurement you should take or anything? I Know you will want a little longer if you are fishing in choppy water. But thats about it.

7. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    I want the trolling prop completely under the bottom of the boat otherwise, I found out the hard way it will make a lot of swirl and also a great deal of noise in choppy water. measure from your deck to the bottom of the boat and then see how, say a 42" trolling motor shaft will go. I think 36" will be too short for that boat

8. RockyS

RockyS New Member

State:
    Conyers, Ga
    On my 1860, I have the wireless 24v 75lb thrust motorguide with a 54" shaft. This was one it when I purchased the boat. It only has 2 wires coming from the batteries (24v on one side and ground on the other). I dont think I would be happy with a 12v on my boat, as I can go all day and never kill my batteries.

9. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    In my opinion, I would go safety first, and need of speed second. I would get the biggest trollingmotor you can. I have a 70# MinnKota on my 2072CC. I have had to run it up on high speed a few times to get out of situations, and a lesser pound thrust motor wouldn't have worked. I also have a 52" shaft. I talked to the guys at SeaArk about my boat. They also said because of how high it sits in the water, the 52" shaft would fit better. You don't want the prop touching the top of the water except in really rough water. All motors will do that when bouncing up and down in waves. Call G3 about which motor to use. Don't ask the dealers. They don't always use your exact boat and can't always tell you the proper motor. If you do put a longer shafted motor on it, remember most boat "stock" boat covers are made for a standard shafted trolling motor. I don't have a travel cover for mine, but if I did, I would have to have a custom cover made to fit the longer shafted motor.
    I would also suggest a 24 volt motor. You won't run your batteries down as fast as you would a 12 volt system.
    good luck

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for the info guys. Ill get ahold of G3 and see what they recommend for length. Thanks again.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Calvin if your going to stay with a 12 volt, get the largest t/motor you can get. Probably a 55# trust. Should handle your boat well. Congrats on the boat upgrade.