Trolling motor ???

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kycatman01, May 3, 2009.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just boat a 14' Jon Boat that has a 36 lb thrust trolling motor. My question is " What kind of battery should I use to power the trolling motor"? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Fishlind

Fishlind New Member

State:
    Lexington County, SC
    I think that a deep cycle would be the best for a trolling motor.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Deep cycle trolling battery

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    What they said,, The biggest you can get!!

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    dont buy a "starting" or even a "dual pourpose" battery,,, only a "DEEP"

6. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    These guys have it right - deep cycle - also you may save a little money buying a smaller one but you'll regret it - spend the money and go to get the biggest one you can afford - then wait a couple weeks and buy the next one bigger. You'll be glad you did.:wink: The only reason I wouldn't is if you have a small outboard on the boat also and you're just gonna use it to move a little up or down the bank and for emergencys - still then bigger is better imo

7. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks alot, guys!! I was told to use a deep cycle before but I was just going to get some other opinions. Thanks again and great fishing!!

8. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I just bought a Everstart marine battery at walmart for $60 and it works great. I also hook up extra lights and pumps to it and stays juiced for 12hrs. Just get a good trickle charger and you'll be set:wink:

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was thinking I seen one at Wal-mart once. I am going to try to get one tomorrow. The Marine is a deep cycle, right????

10. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey, guys! I got the Ever start Marine deep cycle trolling battery($58 + tax + core charge of $9.00) from Wal-mart today. I hope it does the trick. Thanks alot for all of your help.