trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jasonminitruck, Feb 12, 2009.

1. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I'm looking at new trolling motors, and I'm leaning towards the minn kota endura with 50 pound thrust and 42 inch shaft. My question is would this work for a 17 foot aluminum boat thats 5 feet wide, and is it the handle part, or the motor part you turn to mount them on the bow?
    Thanks, Jason

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jason, to determine the recommended amount of thrust, you actually use your boats loaded weight then divide by 70.

For example, lets say your rig with people and gear and happy items weighs in at 3500 pounds. You divide 3500 by 70 which means in a perfect world you would need a trolling motor with a minimum of 50 pounds of thrust, "To be super happy".

There are more types of controls than you can shake a stick at, some are:

Remote Wireless

Foot

Hand

And for the super techy, even voice controlled models.

The new thing on the catfish scene are models like the Motor Guide W45 / W55 wireless setups. Quite a few members run a wireless model using a Key Fob to control the boat. This fob is worn around the neck as you move around the boat.

I am lookingmyself :wink:

3. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Does anyone have any pics of how to set up the transom mount motors on the bow?

4. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Does anyone use their trolling motor much in a decent current?

5. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I just bought a 65 lbs thrust EDGE Minn Kota with a 45" shaft and it is...SWEET. I have a 17 bass tracker and it will yank me all over the place. If that helps any.

6. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    thanks Seth It seems like the more trolling motor the better:eek:oooh: especially in current and wind. Nice rig by the way:wink: